reverse

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Steven Armstrong, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    we have a 96 model 70 horse johnson. when you try to go in reverse it makes a clicking sound but will not go into reverse any one have an idea?

2. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    linkage slipped? might be easy adjustment. left side of motor are cables. look at them when someone shifts into reverse for you. adjust so goes a little farther maybe? that worked for me at least. hope someone with more know how jumps in.
    gary

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Do as gary suggested, check the linkage or do as I do completely disconnect it and see if it will shift then. If it does then adjust it until it shifts again. Those shifting cables will stretch over time and if some one has installed a new water pump and moved the shifting shaft, that could have thrown it out to.

4. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    when this weather breaks we will try messing with the cables and try shifting into reverse with out the cables being on. do you know it the gears inside are metal or plastic?

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Metal. But when shifting an outboard shift it with a quick sharp shift. Don't try to ease it into gear that will do damage to the gear and the shift dog.

6. sambo

sambo New Member

State:
    alabama
    I had the same problem . i know what caused mine though it was me toying with the adjusting nut . i tried to fix it back to normal myself but couldnt when i got tired of trying i decided to carry it to a local boat shop . i explained that i caused the problem and that i wanted them to fix it . well they told me that i needed a new foot on the motor . and i told them that i didnt . i asked them to adjust the cable just to see what would happen . i didnt hear from them for about a month so i decided to call them . when i the guy on the phone he said it was an older motor and he was going yo take a while to find a foot . then i asked to speak to someone else who was not going to try to sell me a new motor . eventually i got someone there to listen and adjust the cable .it took about two months in the shop to get fixed that amounts to two months off the water in the middle of prime fishing weather but i learned a good lesson . that is not to toy with nuts unless you know what youre doing.