Reverse pumps on at waltonville dam-rend lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by big-muddy, Sep 18, 2007.

1. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    on my boat's maiden rend lake voyage, she did awesome and the reverse pumps were running at the waltonville dam today, getting ready for duck season. Not 100% sure, but i heard from another angler today that it is only legal to fish under the pumps ,while they are running, for the time before honker season starts. nice current and a good bite. caught a couple nice channels off the boat on live shad. I checked the IDNR site and there were no new warnings or regulations, so as far as i know its totally legal to fish under the subimpoundment pumps while they flood out the bottoms. great place to catch some flatheads. the local angler i talked to said he caught a dink flathead in his castnet there while collecting shad. just thought id share the fun.

2. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Took a pontoon out on Rend today to check out a customer complaint, can't believe they are pumping it down, it is already lower than I have ever seen it. I was north east of the marina about 3/4 mile idling and trimmed up, and the skag touched. Depth finder was showing 1.5 ft. About a 1/4 mile away is a bouy marking what looked like concrete slabs sticking up out of the water. My wife and I are going to Rend this weekend, will probably spend more time hunting Arrowheads than fishing. I think we will camp at Wayne Fitzgerrel, If you have time Friday night Big Muddy give me a call. Saturday, I have to go to a wedding in Mt Vernon, don't know how late we will stay at the reception. Will be fishing at daybreak Sunday morning.

3. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    up near the waltonville dam its about 3 feet on the flat and 8 feet in the channel. Tons of stumps, but theres a boat lane. my boat is just a 14' jon, so it does fine in shallow water. better than a pontoon would:eek:oooh:. those concrete slabs are probably a house foundation.
    fished the pumps again last night and got a good channel. probably 5 lbs. had to pack up and go after 20 minutes, the mosquitos were eatin me alive!
    Don, I'd love to join ya, but ill be at Kentucky Lake playin a music festival. if i get back sunday evening ill give a ring and see if ur still there.

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I heard from some southern hunters that they were shutting the pumps down and was not going to be able to do any flooding for this season? Heard this last night... I don't know, don't hunt there but thats what these fellas were talking about, and hooking another town to the lake for water supply??? Hope we get 8-10" out of the "rain" thats coming in :eek:oooh::roll_eyes:

5. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    All I know is.. the prop blade could use some rain :eek:oooh:

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    been out of town this weekend so i havent seen if they're still on or not. i cant see em turning them off. duck season is HUGE here. We are gonna need a lot more than some rain. we are gonna need a harsh snowy winter followed by a harsh rainy season in the spring.
    at least its not as bad as kentucky lake is right now. i was down there this weekend and the lake had pretty much called it a year.:eek:oooh: