Returned the 12' Ugly Stick

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by alton, Sep 21, 2007.

1. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I ordered the 12' H Ugly Stick casting rod and returned for the 12' XH casting rod and gave it a try. This rod has a lure rating of 6-24oz which is not even close. I was only casting 4oz and bait and did not like the feel at all and returned this one th Bass Pro for a store credit of $80.00. I have now ordered the Ocean Master Cape Point 12' Casting Rod, which went on sale yesterday for $89.99. The original price is $149.99. This rod is rated 3-8oz. Just for the record I have 2 Okuma Solaris Surf 12' Casting rods which cost the same as the Ugly Sticks and they are 10 times better than the Ugly Sticks. Just my opinion of course.

2. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    The Ugly Sticks fan are marching up your way with torches in hand...(im not one of them)....LoL:haha:

3. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Fe Fi Fo Fom, I smell the "blood" of an Okuma Man...lol....Sorry Bacardi, you offered the opprotunity, I couldn't resist...

Dave,

You didn't mention what Ugly Stik you returned...I'm assuming it was the "Big Water" rods...I have one and I really don't care for it to much...But it's a spinning rod and I do the baitcasters mostly...But I don't like the Ugly Stik Tiger Lite rods for my smaller Abu's like the 6500 size reels....I prefer rods that's a little more stiff than the Big Water rod I have.....Just my opinion.....My main rods are the Tiger Lite, an 8' Custom by blackhorse custom rods and a Jim Moyer rod from catfish connection.....Dwight

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    uh its rated to cast 24oz and you were using 4oz and didnt like how it felt. maybe because you were using 6x less weight than it was designed for?:confused2:

5. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i had a fenwick seahawk that was rated for 16oz and i broke it at the butt section throwing 4oz and a small bait. i still have the tip and put it on my 12ft ugly stick to make that rod a "heaver."

i doubt that rod can cast 24oz. i have a 12' ugly stik thats "rated" for up to 12oz but i think its more like 6 the tip on my 12' rod isn't as thick as my 8 ft ugly thats rated 2-6oz. my guess is either they took the existing 12ft rod and gave it another wrap of glass or since they bought allstar rods a few years ago took their 1509 (rated for 16oz) and wrapped it in glass to get a 24oz rating.

6. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dwight

I actually returned two Big Water 12' casting rods. I use 6500's and 7000's on my rods. The first was the 12'H which was rated up to 12oz. The second was the 12'XH which is rated to 24oz, which should have tipped me off. I have never seen any quality casting rods with lure ratings near 24oz. I am sure the other Ugly Sticks are fine, but the 12' casting Big Water series are not.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    thats weired my friend has the 10' ugly stik cast and it is a beast of a rod its rated for 12oz and will handel it. i got the bwb casting 1120 8' also has a 12oz rating it should have a 24oz rating.

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've got a couple of the 10' Heavy casting, and I'm very satisfied with them, having used them to cast weights up to 8oz along with big baits. However, I returned a 12' Heavy a year or so back after realizing that it was inadequate for anything over about 3oz... There is a big difference between the 10' and 12' Heavy. I've never tried the 12' XH.

In general I'm very happy with Ugly Stiks, and I have about 20 total and 10 different models. The 12' Heavy is the only one I've been disappointed with.

9. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Wow Gary sounds like you are a part owner of Shakespeare with all those rods....lol..... By the way not an Okuma man I do have one Okuma reel that sits in the basement. I don't usually carry big rods personally relying on my 10+ year old Shimano 9 ft rod if I do need to cast a bit further than usual. I do have an Ugly Stik coming that was a part of a Combo but it was really the reel that I wanted.

10. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have three ugly stiks, the 8 foot m/h catfish wich I like, the 7' tiger wich I love, and the 12' big water xh wich actually leaves a lot to be desired I am currently shopping for a better surf casting rod to put my 7000ic3 on.