retrieving catfish while on a high wall

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by beespringer, May 28, 2009.

1. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Hey guys I somtimes fish off old lock walls and was wanting to hear your ideas on how to retrieve a large cat when your 20ft above him.Im thinkig about fixing a basket up with an open top but I want to hear from you as to what works best.:big_smile:Billy

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Get ya an old bicycle rim and a relacement net for a dip net.
    Attach the net and some ropes and you are good to go.

3. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I made a basket out of reinforcement wire and covered it with hardware
    cloth. ITs 3 ft. long and 18 in. wide. I use it to get shad off the wing wall
    and also as a dip net when fishing the high wall. I tie a short rope to each
    corner of the ends and then I tie a 2 long ropes to the corner short ropes
    this way it can't roll and you can lower the front or back individualy.

4. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In

this one gets my vote.. i used to fish off a high wall, and this is how we landed them..

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Billy Vincent,

Get a Bridge Net. It's what saltwater fisherman use when they retrieve a fish from high up above. It's pretty much a big round net that is lowered down with rope. You lowere it a few feet under the fish and pull up!:crazy:

Do an online search and you should find one for under $25. The 36lb flathead in my avatar was landed by a bridge net.

6. stevegilbert

stevegilbert New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I fish off a Damn catwalk that is more than 20ft. high and like the Arkansas guy said I usa net made from a bicycle rim and a replacement net is attached through the spoke holes and then 3 ropes come up from the rim to one point about a foot and then one rope long enough for your needs. It will ;look like your pulling up a parachute. When you get use to using it , it will work good for you Im sure. A lot of people here use this, use a 26 in. rim.

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I agree.Bait shop around here sells em.He uses steel rod for the rim.He must have his own bender.Same idea,the bike rim sounds a lot easier.:big_smile:

8. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    A cheap practical drop "net" can be made from an old freezer basket.

I made mine from a big dip net by tying 3 leads from the net. The 1st at the handle and 2 others equally spaced. Tie the 3 leads to a rope leaving the lead at the handle slightly longer.
    This will help positioning the open area of the net when fishing current.
    hope this helps
    have a good one
    just

9. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Us Bridge Brothers use about the same setup, we use conduit bent, not sure of the length but a 48 inch replacement net fits just perfect and alot bigger than a bicycle rim!!! It has enough room to fit a record fish and thensome. You want the biggest circumfrance around that you can make work, You will have three ropes tied to the ring so that limits the size of holes that your fish needs to pass through and it takes far less time in heavy current and minimizes the chance of losing the fish trying to get it through tiny spaces between the three ropes of a smaller rimmed drop net.:wink:

10. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Go to the Library and look up things made at home or something like that and look up shanes drop net.. tells you how to make it and has a few pics...
    Hope this works for you. here you go

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64860

11. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    I tell you what guys the boc is such a super spot for help and info:big_smile:Thanks to all of you for your ideas:wink:Billy

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Great ideas for nets, and a net will let you release your catch. But if you're planning on keeping what you catch, and you'd rather not fool with hauling around a big net, you can use a 'bridge gaff'. This is simply a huge treble hook with a lead collar around the shank, and a heavy cord tied to it. Let it down so that it's right below the fish, jerk the gaff into the fish, then haul it up. It's called a 'bridge gaff' because it was developed in Florida, where lots of folks fish from bridges. Please don't use this unless you are sure you want to keep and eat your catch.