Retirement Plans

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by DELLIS, May 7, 2006.

1. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    What Is Everybodies Retirement Plans Not I Will Ever See It But I Would Love To Get A House Boat And Travel The Us Rivers And Boarding Oceans

2. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I'd like to put a few thousand into a Roth IRA. Im not sure how fast they grow but by the time I'm 60 or so it should be $150-200K if I put enough in now. I guess I'm kind of a worry wort preparing for retirement at 19. :lol: When I retire, if social security is still here I should be in pretty good shape. Dont reallly have any plans as far as traveling or stuff like that. I like to do that while im still relatively young.

3. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    Pete,

I wouldn't call you a worry wart. I'd call ya pretty smart.

I didn't put any thought into it when I was your age. By the time I was 40, I was only putting half a thought toward it. (I thought I had some time!!!) By the time I was 47, I was out of a job due to a forced medical retirement. My pension pays me a little over $1,800.00 a month, gross, and after they take out for my medical insurance, I get $1,242.00 a month, and the insurance is about to go up... again.

Start now, because anything can happen before you get to retirement age.

4. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    you said a mouthful there

5. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    retirement?????who can afford that?????lol

6. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I hope to get a job writing for a Catfishing Magazine or a simular type gig. I will start putting a little back every week, using the stock market and CDs. I am already 34 so I aint got long. I am used to being poor so I will be fine putting a large hunk of my paycheck into a future for me and my(by then)wife. I want to own a couple hundred acres with a small lake on it. I want to fish till I am done and then rock on the front porch with my Wife, kids, grandkids and a couple of doggies.

7. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Still waiting on winning the lottery. Then i'll share my plans with ya.:big_smile:

8. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I would like to retire early and open a bait shop on the "proposed" lake that they are supposed to build south of my current location, SudDawg and I have been talking about it since we were kids we even have the perfect name "Master Baits & Tackle"...... Oh the tales I could tell when I get old and moldy...

Aaron (future bait shop owner?)

TA2D

9. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Now if only they would start building that darn lake. :crazy:

10. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I too agree with CY.

Roth is the way to go for you, Pete. I was advised of that some years back, now regret it. Smart thing to do!

What retirement? I'm spending that money now. Don't figure I'll live that long. If I do, then hey I'll be like the little ole granny in KY if need be, but I'll worry about it then, not today.

11. Darrell

Darrell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I started at 28 with saving pocket change. Literally. Pretty soon it got into being a habit and then I wanted more in the bank. I cut back on my vices. Instead of buying all of the rounds at the bar I bought the last one. I sold my toys and focused on getting out of debt. I am still not there but I am getting there. BUT...my wife decided one day that since she seen more in the bank, she could go to walmart more. That was a battle in itself. Now, we both are into saving money and getting out of debt. We will see how it goes but it all started with saving pocket change. Hope this helps.

D

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Pete, You are being very smart thinking about planning for retirement at your age. You can never start too early! Thats the problem with most folks... they never plan ahead. Everyone needs to start saving and investing in a retirement fund as early as possible. Some folks rely strictly on social security, while SS only pays the bare minimum of whats needed to live. A good retirement requires more.

13. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    All I know is that my retirement home won't be in NE Kansas............to dang expensive. Hoping for Oklahoma in about 15 years...........my son is 9 so who knows what lays ahead.