Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Bill, in OkC
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my tackle into storage for the season yesterday.
But, reading posts this morning, I might hit the lake this weekend.
The baitshop had some frozen shad the other day, so I bought some. Really small. Heck, I’ve eaten bigger sardines in mustard sauce.
I put a couple of the shad on a 5/0 hook, but nothing wanted them.
If I do go out this weekend, I’ll try the spot where I caught the flathead last Summer. I know there’s a mussel bed about 30-40 feet from the bank, so I’ll try there. Maybe, if I can catch some bluegills, I’ll offer one up.
I just can’t give up on the season yet. 😀

I’ve caught 106 fish this year. But NOT ONE flathead.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I put my tackle into storage for the season yesterday.
But, reading posts this morning, I might hit the lake this weekend.
The baitshop had some frozen shad the other day, so I bought some. Really small. Heck, I’ve eaten bigger sardines in mustard sauce.
I put a couple of the shad on a 5/0 hook, but nothing wanted them.
If I do go out this weekend, I’ll try the spot where I caught the flathead last Summer. I know there’s a mussel bed about 30-40 feet from the bank, so I’ll try there. Maybe, if I can catch some bluegills, I’ll offer one up.
I just can’t give up on the season yet. 😀

I’ve caught 106 fish this year. But NOT ONE flathead.
You might want to try chicken as bait seeing as there is a mussel bed nearby. Just saying.

·
Registered
Bill, in OkC
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might want to try chicken as bait seeing as there is a mussel bed nearby. Just saying.
I can do that.
I’ll get a small packet of chicken breasts from WallyWorld just fo that.
It would make my year to catch a good sized flathead on breast meat.

Spokey, I didn’t take it ALL out. Still have the tackle bag, bait bucket and chair in the back. So, maybe it won’t get too upset. 😀

And whatever I do catch, I will post a picture.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
I too have stored the majority of my cat fishing gear for the winter but I always leave two rod/reels out and a small tackle box with enough tackle to provide for a day trip incase the weather insist I go. It used to be I just kind of rolled out of fishing to bow hunting then trapping and racoon hunting then back into Skip Jack fishing in the early spring. Now I don't have the knees to trap, the dogs to racoon hunt or the gumption to deer hunt so after the fishing season for the most part I just dream about the next spring.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I am fortunate in that I can fish year-round here in Southeast Texas. I try to fish at least every Friday. Fridays are nice because most of the time the skiers are not out that day. They seem to try and throw the biggest waves possible on any fishermen that they can find. During the summer we spend most of our time back up in the creeks and bayous off the river. They have good fishing and no fools to deal with. I fish in the extreme northern part of Lake Livingston where it is more a river than a lake.

·
Registered
Bill, in OkC
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know what you mean about the skiers, Dan. But on the lake I fish , it’s dag blasted jet skiers.
The lake is only 1500 acres, so there’s not room for ski boats and no swimming allowed. But the idiots on jetskis do the same thing.

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
1,579 Posts
Guess I have retired for the season. Went out yesterday and the day before to one of my favorite creek spots. Got a few interesting hits on crawlers but no takers. I tried nightcrawlers, raw chicken and even hot dogs. NADA. The creek is low, most of it around 2 ft with a few small holes up to six feet. I'm guessing fish have headed down to the really deep water.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts