Resume'

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by CountryHart, Sep 10, 2008.

1. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Dang don't this lil' chore suck:confused2: Crap i went to work a month ago and now the want a resume'. I'm a much better hand on the job than i have paper to write it down on. I got a few days so i'll write some and think some:wink: Dang that thinkin parts skerry.:crazy::crazy::crazy:

2. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Don't forget to mention that you're a member of the BOC and tell them that you've even got an award!!:wink::smile2:

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

Im a reference brother. :wink:

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Heck I'll even type the resume for ya!! Add me for a reference too!!:wink:

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Tell em you know Kutter, an wink at em. Works every time.:crazy:
    Be sure ya write down that your a world traveler an been half way to Cabool an back. Let em know that you know folks clear out in other states an all. One bit of advice I learned, leave your dog at home. Some businesses frown on bringin your dog with ya to work. Folks like that can't be trusted anyway. I got a brotherinlaw that went to a job interview wearing blue jean cutoffs, a dirty (once) white T shirt and white socks, no shoes. I'm serious, he really did. Idiot! Like he had any chance of gettin a job wearing white socks!:wink:

6. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I did a search on resume and came up with some good ideas for mine. Tell them you are a B.O.C. member and you have friends in high places. Good luck!

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Sounds like something my brother-in-law would do!! REDNECK for sure. Nah! I still love him!!!

8. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Good Luck John, yeh they suck to write.... I'll help however I can buddy.

9. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Here are some things not to do at the interview.

1. Leave the beer in the truck, until afterwards, it is not a good idea to bring a 6 pack with you, even if you do intend to share it.
    2. If the interviewer is a woman, do not refer to her as babe, doll, honey, and wait till after the interview to ask for a date.
    3. Refrain from wearing T-Shirts that offend.
    4. Try to wear jeans with no holes in them, especially in the seat of the pants.
    5. Smoking is a big No-No, with the smoke free atmosphere of now adays.
    6. Wait to tell them you are CEO material until after you get the job.
    7. Wear shoes.
    8. With those shoes, wear clean matching socks if you are wearing cutoffs.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    John,Funny you should post this. I have been an employee at my present job for nearly a year and last week I got a employment request and all the paperwork:smile2:,then got my driving records for them yesterday.:tounge_out::wink:

11. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I know it sucks,, there are a lot of online resources that can help you with anything from the cover letter and anything else

12. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    John, get that wife of yours to write it up. Her being a teacher an all, I bet she knows all them fancy words an stuff.:wink:

13. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I remember back in my Navy days, I got my draft notice from the Army. I tore it up an threw it away. I figured, if they wanted me, they could swim out an get me.

14. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    It's also a good idea to scrape the stink bait out from under your finger nails BEFORE the interview, NOT DURING!

15. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Resume'

Name: John Fisher
    Address: Somewhere in the sticks of south Missouri

Objectives: To get a paying job so I can get money so I can eat.

Experience: Just ask me I got all kinds of experiences.

Hobbies: Catfishing, Huntin, Trappin, and all other kinds of Redneck innertainment.

References: Unka Paul, Kutter, and all them other BOC fellers.

Goals? What goals? We ain't playin basketball here.

There ya go John just thought I'd help ya out there buddy. :smile2:

If anyone has anything to add to help John out just copy and paste then add it on. :smile2:​

16. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Here are some hints that may help

10 Ways Your Résumé Irks Hiring Managers

Fashion designer Coco Chanel had a personal rule: Before she left the house, the style icon always removed one piece of her ensemble to avoid the faux-pas of wearing too many accessories. Were Chanel alive today and working as a hiring manager, she would likely offer similar advice to job seekers: You don’t have to include everything.

Job seekers do themselves a disservice when they send out résumés with more information than they need. Most employers don’t have the time or patience to sift through the irrelevant details. Here are 10 things your résumé could do without:

1. Spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.
    “If you are careless enough to send out this most important document with a mistake…I immediately assume you'll never care enough about the work you send out representing my company," says Jose Bandujo, president of New York-based Bandujo Advertising. He recalls one candidate who misspelled Manhattan, despite having worked in the city for a decade and another whose great educational background didn’t compensate for the fact that he couldn’t spell “education.”

2. Opening objectives.
    “These are generic…They do nothing to differentiate one candidate from another,” says Donna Flagg, president of The Krysalis Group, a human resource and management consulting firm in New York.

3. Personal attributes.
    Listing personal information such as height, weight and age and providing photographs is a pet peeve for Heather Mayfield, vice president of training and operations for Snelling Staffing Services. “It is amazing that we still see this on the résumés of today, but they are out there.”

4. Interests and hobbies.
    If these points of information don’t pertain to the job in question, there’s no need to include them. “Create a mystery and save these kinds of data points when you start the job,” advises Roy Blitzer, author of “Hire Me, Inc.: Résumés and Cover Letters that Get Results.”

5. Details of every task you’ve ever performed in every job you’ve ever had.
    “It's too much information. Managers and recruiters need to know at-a-glance what makes a candidate special,” Flagg says. Focus on those details that pertain to the job for which you’re applying.

6. Excessive bragging.
    Stating one’s accomplishments can be helpful, but when it’s overdone, the candidate can come across as narcissistic, a huge turnoff for employers, Flagg says.

7. Outdated information.
    Leave off the activities that you did in high school if graduation was a few years ago and omit jobs you held 10 or more years ago, as the information is probably irrelevant to the position you’re trying for now.

8. False information.
    “Putting [that you have] a B.S. on a résumé when you do not have one is ‘BS,’” jokes Stephen Viscusi, author of “On the Job: How to Make it in the Real World of Work.” Not only is lying on a résumé unfair and dishonest, it’s also not very intelligent. “Companies verify dates of employment – often after you start. If you have lied, they fire you...Nobody wants to hire a liar. Nobody.”

9. Unexplained gaps in work history.
    While job seekers should account for these gaps, they should be careful with their wording. “One of the weirdest things that I ever saw on a résumé…was a candidate who explained a 10-year lapse in work experience as being in jail during those years for killing her husband,” recalls Linda Goodspeed, marketing recruiting manager at VistaPrint. In such a situation, she says, the best thing to write would be “left work for personal reasons,” and the candidate would be able to explain the criminal record later.

10. A lack of professionalism.
    Colored paper, cutesy fonts, links to personal websites and childish e-mail addresses all scream unprofessional and are a turn off to hiring managers. One otherwise qualified applicant didn’t get an interview at Bandujo’s firm solely because of the name in her email address: “weird2themax.” "I recognize the advertising industry is full of talented, interesting 'characters',” Bandujo says, “but did I really want one who thought she was weird to the max?" No, he decided, he did not.
    Interview Questions and Answers
    Personality Questions

What do you consider to be your biggest weakness?
    - I am very dedicated to my job and I expect the same level of dedication from other people. Not everyone feels the same way about work and sometimes my expectations are too high.

What is your greatest strength?
    - My greatest strength is working on a project through from its inception to its completion.

How do you handle failure?
    - I give myself a short time to feel sad, but I don’t dwell on it. Who has the time for that? Without spending too much energy on it, I do always try to figure out where things went wrong. If I don’t do that, I won’t know what I need to do to succeed the next time.

What are you short-term goals?
    - I want to work for a department that is growing, in a position that allows me to use my skills to help that growth. (Do some research about the department and see if they are taking on any new initiatives.)

Do you prefer to work alone or part of a team?
    - Each situation is different. Having a team to collaborate with works better for some projects, while it’s best for one person to work on other projects. I enjoy being part of a team, but I can work independently too.’

Do you consider yourself a leader?
    - I am willing to take on responsibility, I am persuasive, and I can delegate. All these qualities make me a good leader. If a situation calls fro someone to take charge, I can certainly step forward.

How do you handle pressure?
    - I take a deep breath and figure out what needs to be done. Then I take care of it. (A follow up question might be to give an example. So have a story prepared how you dealt with a difficult situation.)

What pet peeves to you have about coworkers?
    - Too much negativity always bothers me. I think if you are going to complain you should be able to offer some solutions to fix the things you think are wrong.

How do you handle change?
    - When appropriate, change is important. (This is another question where you want to give an example of how you responded to change. Maybe a new database was implemented or a management change.

Do you have any hobbies?
    - I love woodworking. I love the satisifaction I get from taking a few pieces of wood and turning them into something I, or someone else, can use.

What is your ideal work environment?
    - I want to work in an environment where I can use my professional experience and education. It’s important that I work in an environment where I will stay busy and employees are recognized for their contributions.

Why did you choose this career/position?
    - When I started college I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do. I visited a career office and they gave me some self-assessment tests. Based on the results, they gave me a list of career that might be suitable and told me how to research them. I did, and this is what I thought I’d like best.

Skills and Abilities

How do your skills relate to this job?
    - I am very organized, I work well on a team, and I have very good communication skills. Although I haven’t worked in this field before, I know these skills will make me a valuable employee.

How do you solve problems?
    Tell me about a crisis you encountered at work and how you handled it?
    - First I look at the problem and then I figure out what I need to do to solve it. For example (have a story prepared that shows how you worked through a difficult situation and came up with a logical but appropriate answer.)

How do you manage your time?
    - I prioritize my work. I figure out what needs to get done first, next, and so on. Then I figure out how much time I will need to spend on each activity or project. I set a schedule for myself and get going.

Are you computer literate?
    - I am proficient in several programs including all Microsoft Office applications.

How do you take direction?
    - I think the ability to listen is one of the most important skills for anyone to have. I always make sure to pay attention to what my supervisor is saying and then ask any questions I have. I find out when the project must be completed and if there are any special issues.

Accomplishments

Can you tell me about your greatest accomplishment at work?
    Have you ever had to take over an assignment at the last minute?
    What has been your greatest accomplishment as part of a team?
    Have you ever come up with new ways to solve a problem?
    - (You will need to provide specific examples to these questions. Have in your mind a special project you worked on or a new procedure you came up with that saves time or money for the department.)

Education

Why did you choose to major in Technology Education?
    - (You will need to come up with an answer that shows you made an informed choice and didn’t just pick a major because you didn’t know what you wanted to do. Show the interviewee that you put thought in it and had an idea for a career.)

Work History

Out of the jobs you’ve held, which was your favorite?
    - I like my current job in The Office of International Education. My favorite job was at…. (Will need to come up with reasons what you liked about past positions.)

Tell me about your current job?
    - (Describe current position and how you work well in a team structure but also have the ability to work on your own)

Tell me about a typical day at work?
    - (This is where you take the time to discuss your many responsibilities to show the interviewee what you can do for them.)

What do you like about your job?
    - (Describe what motivates you in your current job. Is it customer service, working on projects, working in a team, or how the job is fast-paced?)

Describe your ideal boss?
    - I like a supervisor that expects a lot out of their employees but will also work alongside them. They should have an open-door policy and be willing to listen to ideas. I also appreciate a boss that gives credit where it is deserved.

How do you feel about the way your department was managed on your last job?
    - I think it was managed effectively

How would your previous supervisors describe you?
    - A diligent worker who takes care to do an excellent job on every project. I complete all my work on time. I am very friendly and treat others with respect and I am a great team-player.

Why did you leave your last job or why are you leaving your current position?
    - I completed what I wanted to in this job. I don’t feel there is not any room to grow and I thrive on a challenge. I want to find a position that I am going to be able to further my skills and knowledge and help a department prosper. I know I can use my skills in this position.

What kind of person do you find it difficult to work with? What kind of person do you find it easy to work with?
    - I find it difficult to work with someone who does sloppy work or tries to get away with doing as little as possible. I find it easy to work with someone who is ambitious, takes the time to do the best job possible, and does more than is asked of them.

How will your boss react when you tell them you are leaving?
    - I have discussed it with them so I don’t think they will be surprised. They know I am ready for more responsibility and they just can’t offer that to me with the way the department is structured.

Interpersonal Skills

What do you do when you work with someone you don’t particularly like?
    - While I know you don’t have to be buddies with everyone you work with, workplaces are more productive if coworkers get along. I would try to resolve my differences with that person. If that wasn’t possible, I’d find something about that person I could admire and respect and I’d focus on that instead of the things I didn’t like.

What would your current co-workers say about you?
    - My co-workers would say I am very committed to my job. I work hard to contribute to each project’s success and I always treat everyone with respect.

How do you handle criticism?
    - I think criticism can be a valuable tool. It forces me to take a look at my own work and see how I can improve on it.

How would you handle an upset customer?
    - I would let the customer know I will listen to what they have to say. I will make sure the complaint is legitimate and do what I can to remedy the situation. If I did not have an immediate answer I would ask the customer if I could call them back. I would make sure to follow up with the customer to give an answer or let them know my progress in finding them an answer.

Homework

Are you available during the hours we are open?
    - Yes I am. I took a look at the department’s website to find out when the office was open. I am available during all those times.

The person who fills this position will have to work on their own from time to time. Can you handle that?
    - I am used to working independently so that is not a problem.

We often work in teams here. Would you rather work on a tea or on your own?
    - I work well independently and on a team. On my previous jobs I had to do both. We often worked on teams to complete larger projects. I like how working on a team allows you to draw on the strength of each of its members.

Are you good at handling stress?
    - Yes I am. My last job was very stressful, but I found that practicing some relaxation techniques like deep breathing helped me combat the stress. I also made sure to take breaks when appropriate to give me time to regroup and start the rest of the day with a positive attitude.

There is a gap in your employment history. What were you doing during that time?
    - I took time off to focus on my education because it was important to me that I did well in school. After graduation I took some time for myself and did some traveling. When I was ready to get back in the work force I began looking for employment.

What salary are you looking for?
    From my research, I know the salary range for those with my experience working in this industry is (give a range). I am confident we can agree on a salary that is acceptable.

Never say: I have to make a certain dollar amount and never ask “How much money will I make?” Money should never be discussed in a job interview. You should hold off on discussing salary until you receive a job offer. This is when you will be able to negotiate. Even if the employer brings it up in an interview it is best not to get into an extensive conversation about it. Try giving a range if you have to answer the question.

Websites that will provide salary information for different jobs:
    www.salary.com
    http://content.salary.monster.com

Never ask: “How much vacation time will I have?” You haven’t’ even started working and already you want to know about time off. Your goal during the interview is to demonstrate to the employer that you will be a productive employee. Asking about vacation time will not help you reach that goal

Questions you should ask the interviewee

• What happened to the person who previously held this job? Why is this position open?
    • What do you think are the skills/strengths vital to this position?
    • What are your expectations for new hires?
    • Can you tell me about your initial as well as future training programs?
    • Can you describe the work environment?
    • How long have you worked here?
    • What do you like about your job and the department?
    • What are the most challenging parts of the job?
    • Are there any recent or anticipated changes in the department?
    • What is your next step in the hiring process?

17. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Sorry, Gary, but after careful consideration, you will not be hired for this position, due to your inability to master the English language.

Why did you leave your last job or why are you leaving your current position?
    - "I completed what I wanted to in this job. I don’t feel there is not any room to grow and I thrive on a challenge. "

18. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Tom those wernt mine those were examples that I got from an HR person.

19. gonecatn

gonecatn New Member

State:
    arizona
    Get that resume in as soon as you can!

The only reason an employer wants a resume after having hired you is because they are thinking of promoting you or they are using you as a way to get another contract and they need it. Either way congrats buddy!!!

20. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    That's what this is all about. I was hired 5 weeks ago as part of a maintenance team for the school district. My boss is trying to get me more $$$, and the superintendent has to bring a resume' before the board. Thanks Gary, i'm going to copy/paste the one you sent me. It's direct and to the point, with little if any useless filler. Thanks everyone, i've gotten some good laughs as well as helpful information.