Results of Meeting with NCWRC

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by WylieCat, May 9, 2007.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    First of all I want to thank all the BOC members that showed up. LakeNormanBlues, Mudkip, Catfishrus, Tomahawk, Billfish, Price…who did I forget? Great turn out!

The NCWRC came prepared. I believe there were six or seven biologists in attendance and answering questions. It was a very informative presentation and answered a lot of questions. I think we took away a lot of good information, and I think the NCWRC members in attendance learned some things they did not know.

I will summarize what I took away from the meeting, and I hope that the other BOC members will chime in with what they found important.

1) Don’t expect a statewide blanket creel limit or size limit. There is little hope that the NCWRC would support that.

2) The wheels are in motion for some sort of study and research of catfish populations in NC.

3) There is a significant potential for a size limit on designated “trophy lakes” as a trial so that the NCWRC can study it through ongoing research. The best options for this are probably Lake Norman and Badin Lake. This is due to study programs that are currently being implemented and the fact that there are fish of significant size in existence in both lakes.

4) There is very little data or catfish research from North Carolina to base anything on at this point, but the NCWRC is working to change that.

5) The timeline for implementing a change in harvest regulations is as short as one year, but as long as two years depending on when the request is submitted and received.

6) Overall the catfish population is healthy and thriving.

7) The NCWRC is very receptive to input from anglers.

8) Trot lines, baskets, jugs, and shocking are not going away anytime soon.

My personal opinion is that there is a greater chance of some type of regulation passing than I originally thought. If we can get the request formalized in writing quickly we could see a change as soon as next summer. That is something I hope we can put together within the next few days. Of course a lot has to happen, and the NCWRC has to sign off on it agreement, but it is more than possible. The meeting tonight was the first step.

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Bro., you forgot Colt Farrington (GhostRiverTimberCo). Glad I had a chance to meet you Colt. Thank you WylieCat for your summary of the meeting and thanks also for bringing us all together on this important issue.

3. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Well, at least its a move in the right direction, thanks for the report on the meeting.

4. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Yup, forgot GhostRiverTimberCo and Roundhill!! Who else? Thanks guys for coming out!

I think we will strike while the fire is hot! Maybe we can get something rolling for the upcoming session. :big_smile:

5. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Thanks for have me at your discussion lastnight fellows. I really enjoyed meeting all of you gentlemen and learning a little in the process. There was some very good information discussed at the meeting and some great ideas bounced around. I think you've made a good choice as haveing Price be onpoint as spokesman for the cause. I know y'all have seen us bang heads on here for the last month but he is passionate, well spoken and, most important, well educated on this subject of regulations goes. The possible regulations that were proposed last night were very reasonable limits on a select number of lakes and I think it's a great starting point.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Thanks Dieter for the summarization.From my perspective the very fact that the biologists are meeting with concerned fishermen represents a quantum leap forward from where we were as recent as 2 years ago.No surprise that they are beginning to study the catfish issue, again the squeaky wheel gets grease and last night the wheel was squeaking.I dont support an over all state wide size or creel limit either.I do support the "Trophy" lake designation in order to gather good scientific data to support further management.What I do support is at least designating channels and blues as gamefish.I didnt see any discussion of that issue in your synopsis. Was that issue discussed and what was their reaction?Thanks again for you efforts and those that went.This is how we are going to make progress,the same way the NVA gunners pushed their arty pieces up the mountains,one inch at a time.:big_smile: :smile2:

7. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Jim, I'm going to try an answer your question because I asked them the same thing last night. I could be wrong but I understood them to say that under federal law (and something about the lilly act , maybe) game fish cannot be sold. This status would end commercial fishing for catfish. There were also some interstate commerce issues. I could be wrong because I was trying to listen to about 3 different people speak at once and these guys need to correct me and elaborate if they will. The bottom line I got from the NCWRC guys was that the gamefish status was unnecessary and catfish could be regulated and even micro managed without such a status. Sorry to be so uncommital to your question but I don't want to tell you a lie by mistake.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Thanks Colt I appreciate the answer.I wonder how stripers are netted and sold then?In any case I had assumed (Bad thing) that gamefish status was necessary in order for a fish to be manageable.Evidently NC doesn't need that to impose limits, slots or size restrictions.Those will be some questions for the next meeting.Thanks again :smile2: :lol:

9. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Colt summarized it well. We made it point to ask that question directly. Like stated, catfish size and creel limits can be regulated without a gamefish designation, and honestly it can probably be done easier and quicker.

The gamefish designation could present a bundle of issues that at this point would not be worth tackling. What I took from it was that a "one step at a time" approach would be more easily accepted. Perhaps once some research is in place there may be grounds for gamefish status.

To further explain how the process of creating a regulation works I will attempt to summarize that process:

1) The request is received from the public
    2) The request is reviewed by the NCWRC
    3) If accepted it is then put out for public hearing around the state
    4) If accepted at that point it is put into the regulations

For this to make it through all the steps by next year, the process needs to be initiated soon. We are attempting to formalize the request and get it to the NCWRC by the end of this month.

IF it makes it through all the steps and to public review, then we will be counting on the members of the BOC to take the time to show up for the public hearings. Those roll around in January and take place in each district around the state. IF we make it that far you can be sure that everyone here will be made aware of when the hearings are taking place.

The squeeky wheell gets the oil, and you can bet that there will be opposition, so we need the folks here to be the majority in those meetings if they happen. For now keep vocalizing your desires to the appointed members of the NCWRC from your area.

10. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    catfish populations healthy and thriving............state record caught last year..........i dont want responses but my question again to my self is why do we need regs??????????????maybe the harvest that you all do not like is helping the fishery..............theres and old saying...."dont fix it if it aint broke"...........mack

11. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I'll be there. It is worth it to support this reg. The biologists will learn much from these lakes which gain trophy designation. Putting the spotlight on catfish is going to raise awareness of catfishing as well as elevate the fish in the minds of many who consider catfish to be a rough fish. It is a step in the right direction for sure.

12. ltlcatman

ltlcatman New Member

State:
    north carolina
    wylie wish i had found this site sooner would have loved to have been there

13. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    We had some great discussions on this back in the spring of the year. Where does the possibility of greater restrictions stand today? I haven't heard a thing about it for quite a while.

14. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Colt, the NCDNC accepted our suggestions at the meeting you attended and will present it to the NC Wildlife Commissioners in Jan. 2008. They will then hold public hearings on that issue and others thru out the state in Jan. thru March, 2008 and if approved, it will become a reg. in July 2008. We will present other info. in Dec. 2007 about hearing dates. Mac.

15. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    When and where is the next meeting of this kind going to take place? I would love to attend. It sounded really interesting. Even if I have to drive to Charlotte from Wilmington, I'd like to be there, the more of us the better. It'd also give the NCWRC guys a chance to hear from some of us down in the eastern part of the state and give our opinions on how the catfish are doing in our area.

16. stinkbaitguy

stinkbaitguy New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Anywhere i need to be just let me know wylie,Ill help any way i can!

17. hungupagain

hungupagain New Member

State:
    North Carolina