Resturant Grease as catfish bait

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by pk_powell, Sep 4, 2006.

1. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm posting this cause I'm just really curious.I wonder what would happen if a person was able to get some resturant grease let it cool off enough to handle and then sorta try to use it as chum? I've heard all kinds of tricks to the trade so to speak and I'm just wondering if hamburger and frenchfry grease would create a scent trail? What do you all think? as I said just curious.-------------pk:big_smile:

2. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    REPS to you Pk, I have actually wondered that also. wouldn't figure that it would hurt anything cause most of oils now a days are vegetable. I'll be checking back to see what other members think

3. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Uhmmmmmm, Now thats an interesting idea, but would the grease disolve in colder water? Would the grease be harmfull to the enviromemt?

4. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    you can get all u want, just ask.. we get ours from a local club,, about 2 a month..... we use it on the fires @ our riverlot

5. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois

Most of those oils and stuff used are made from vegetable oil, so I would think not.

6. Amigo108

Amigo108 New Member

State:
    Columbia, Maryland
    I would think the oil would float. Also, if you soked your bait in the oil for added flavor/scent I would think the oil might act as a barrier from the bait scent mixing with the water. True answer is I don't really know but I don't think it would help.

7. Aquakeeper

Aquakeeper New Member

State:
    Maryland
    If it works then I am sitting on a gold mine! Theres at least 2 barrels outside the resturant:confused2:

Might be better off soaking it in somthing and letting it harden that way. Maybe add flour to the oil mix and it should harden.

8. Amigo108

Amigo108 New Member

State:
    Columbia, Maryland
    aquakeeper, I know a guy who is getting started makiing bio diesel, depending on where your located he'll take all your grease plus everything you create in the future. Let me know where in MD you are if you want the stuff "dissapeared"

David

9. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    sometimes there are cleaning chemicals mixed in with it,oven(fryer)cleaner,boil-out,even good old dawn.

10. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    If you check with the coast guard, as far as they are concerned, veg oil is the same as motor oil on the water. they treat a veg oil spill just like any other spill. EPA also likes to get involved in those.

So, if you do use it, use it sparingly.

11. Galant02

Galant02 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I dunno. I really dont think it would work that good. Plus it might not be too good for the water, cause their are cleaning chemicals used to clean the fryers out.

12. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm a soap maker from way back. I know a couple of guy running a rib shack here in town. They accumulate grease in large containers. I thought of making bait soap from this smoky salty grease. No anise oil just the pit grease. Talk about a scent trail and the epa will not get excited about soap in the water. When the weather gets cold I'm going to try it. Soap just doesn't make right in warm weather.

13. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've heard of using soap for bait, and even grease/oil for bait...but never soapbait made from that kind of grease...reps to you for the idea.

14. catfishermanstiles

catfishermanstiles New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    yes will work I still have a few 5 gallon buckets in my yard

best thing to get it off the hamburger grilll when they clean the traps grease is like lard wich is animal fat with a kick have used this to make bait before worked out fine if I was to use it as a chum would either get some maze and let this soak for a month or to put in to bas or get some dog foos in bags and soak them to through out lots of luck Catfishermanstiles