Restrictor plate racing sucks!

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by Phil Washburn, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    am i the only one that hates this stuff? i was at the talledega race when bobby allison hit the fence. i was watching the whole thing thru binocs....a horrific wreck, but using plates to fix it was absolutely the wrong thing. there is very little skill (compared to non-restrictor tracks) involved in plate racing. all the cars stay in a wad, and when some dip gets impatient we see hundreds of thousands of dollars in equipment wasted.

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Never cared too much for restrictor plate racing myself. Racing is won on speed and skill, not depending on someone to help you get out front.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Sorry, but it is stupid to not use them and run 225 mph.

Biggest problem; NASCAR can not be insured at speeds over 200mph.

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    you got it wrong, Wylie. plenty of ways to slow cars down more effectively than plates. a nine inch tire would do it without all the money that is being spent now. and that would also put the race back in the drivers hands.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    In the dark recesses of our minds we all love plate racing for the wrecks unless, its "our man" in the wreck:big_smile:
    I know I do.
    If these cars never wrecked and they didnt tear up hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment....the stands would be empty.

Brings to mind figure 8 racing, crash up derbies , and those 100 lap enduros run what you bring get out of it and leave where it quits in the local bullrings on Friday nights.
    None of us like to see someone get hurt but we all like to see some bent sheet metal.

What should happen to slow the cars at the plate tracks is to bulldoze the banks. Make em hit the brakes like they have to anywhere else.
    BUT the way I feel about is that if we have to endure two road courses a year to throw a wrench into stock car racing then 4 restrictor plates only adds to a complete season in that the drivers and teams cant afford to have any "throw away races". they are forced to learn it, R&D it, and endure it to compete for a championship.
    It adds to the drama played out over the course of the season and the points race.

Waht would cup racing be without Bristol?

6. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I would love to see nascar take away the restrictor plates. But Im afraid that there may be more seriously injured drivers, or even fatalities, and even worse yet, spectators and officials being hurt/killed.
    I beleive that there are plenty of ways to challenge these drivers and still take away their plates. A nine inch tire may do it, but putting a tread pattern on their current tire would slow them down too. Having them run on a less volitale fuel would slow them down. Air packages that would create more downforce on the front of the car (car of the future design YUCK) might actually do it. They also run a very hot ignition system, cutting the amount of electrical power would slow them down.
    But to be honest with all of you, I love speed! And thats about 60% of the reason that I watch nascar, and other speed related sports.
    I will also admit that I like to watch the short track races, cause you just know some of the drivers are going to be beat the sheet metal off of each other.
    What else could be done to ensure safety to the drivers, officials, and spectators without losing the break neck speeds of Dega and Daletona?

Kenny

7. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think on those super speedways if they did not use the plates to keep the cars bunched up you would end up with one or two teams (with all the money for research) running away from the rest. It would be a pretty boring race. I hate them Plate races) too but I also know most teams use motors from the same builders. I am sure they keep a little something for their own teams. On smaller tracks teams can make up little differences and stay competitive. On the plate tracks 1mph over 500 miles would be real hard to make up.

8. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa

Good post Mark! I agree with what you said.
    I love the sound the pack makes as it passes by!:smile2:

9. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I married into a nascar family and have no favorite racer. while I hate the restrictor plate races for the lack of ummph you get with out them, I do love it when they're all bunched up and someone causes a wreck provided there are no injuries. Other wise I'd have nothing to watch the race for when she has it on.

10. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    How bout making em switch to V6's like us highway dorks?

11. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    I doubt that we will ever see restrictor plates go...there have been tests done without them on superspeedways and the drivers said it was crazy just testing them like that.

Personally I like restrictor plate racing in a way. There is skill in racing guys in a big pack and using the draft right...keeping your car steady and not taking out the guy two inches away from you. That takes just as much skill as passing one guy out in a open track that is obviously slower than you.

12. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    You are right. Racing in the draft is a totally different skill set that some drivers have mastered and some have not. It makes for a nice mix with short tracks, road courses, and intermediate tracks.

13. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    your all right plate racing is different and they cant pass w/o being helped by the draft.But you cant tell me that Dale Sr. didnt look cool comming from 18 th to 1st in one lap.they only draft he had was the one waiting for him in the winners circle!smokey

14. Krauseb

Krauseb New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Call me outa my mind, but I thought the whole idea of racing was to see who could build and control the fastest car. Why are there any sort of restrictions on the build of the car? If you build a car that is so fast you can't control it, then you won't win.

If this isn't the case then why aren't all the cars the same make and model with the exact same engine, etc.?

15. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana

It's just the fact of the safety for the racers and the spectators. Without restrictions these cars would kill many more people in my mind.

Smokey......I liked that comment.

16. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...Why are there any sort of restrictions on the build of the car? ..."

Liability.

If NASCAR creates an environment that is totally out of control then they will be subjected to some liability. If you kill about 20 drivers and some spectators from going 230 mph, cartwheeling, and coming apart, you will have some problems legally.

Sure, they could do it, but it would have to be in a place where no fans are around to eat the debris that flys loose. One of the reasons they stopped open wheel cars from running at places like Lowes.