Restoration Project

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by Terry Day, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    I bought a 72 Chevy C/10 350 today for a restoration project. No 4 x 4. Typical rust and minor body dents. Question is: Whoever, had it previously put a lowering kit on it. Don't want that. What is it going to take to get it back to its original height? Just springs or what? Please post here or send me a PM. Thanks

2. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    1st question is did they put drop spindals in the front. I'd say get a book on it and see whats been changed then go from there:confused2:

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Im not quite sure but my son is raising his and alot of the shakels etc have to be completely changed out it might be the same in lowering so you may be looking at a lot of new parts hope not though maybe someone else can enlighten us further

4. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Thanks for the responses. I have ordered the Chiltons repair manual. May order the Hansens as well. I'm in no hurry on this project - I just want to do it right! Thanks again

5. gmc3500

gmc3500 New Member

State:
    NM
    Well how did they lower it. that truck can be lowered by clips that sqeez the springs down or they could have heated them up till they started to fall or they could have put smaller springs under it. I belive the 67-72 chevy trucks have coil springs all the way around with kind of a four link set up in the back. your best bet would be to get new springs.

6. k5camaro

k5camaro New Member

State:
    texas
    your truck will have front and rear coil springs.a rear panhard bar,and a twin beam suspenson. unless you are doing a complete frame off you maybe better off finding a bone stock donor truck for spare parts.a good reference to cross factory suspension components is LMC truck.com.

7. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Had a 68 that I completely restored and as said before it should have 4 coils. Many people just set blocks under the frame to the height they wanted and heated the springs with a torch till they dropped to the blocks. Rode like S*** but it looked good.
    LMC truck is a great source for anything you need, also made a lot of trips to junk yards stripping stuff.
    I love that body style.
    Good luck.

8. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Most people don't go through the trouble, or expense of lowering on old truck right. So like everyone else said, they probably just heated the springs. If so theres no fixing those old springs, just replacing them. I'm going through a 66 Ford F100 right now myself, but I do like those 68-72 chevys. Good Luck with it.