Responsible Fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by sbursik, Apr 10, 2006.

1. sbursik

sbursik New Member

State:
    McKinney Texas
    I went out fishing Sunday with a guide friend of mine. We were having a great day and we were catching a lot of nice eater fish and a couple of giants. There were 4 of us in the boat and we were having a blast.

My bait clicker went off and I set the hook on a decent fish. He came to the top and rolled and I estimated the fish at 5 or 6 pounds. As it came to the boat I noticed that the fish looked odd. Instead of a blue and white color that I expected to see, I saw those colors mixed in with shades of red and brown. We reluctantly put the fish into the net and pulled it into the boat. The fish had stripes of blood and infection running along its sides. It had an infected eye and fins. The hook and line from a trotline were still in the side of its mouth. It was a very sad site to see this fish. I have been fishing for a long time and that was the one of the worst things I have seen. I was surprised that the fish took a bait. I removed the hook that I put in its mouth and tried to remove the one from the trotline but it was imbedded too deeply and surrounded by sores to remove. I hope that the fish survives and the hook rusts out.

The day goes on and I hook ANOTHER fish that was in the same exact condition. At first we thought that this was the same fish but indeed it was not. This one didn’t have a trotline hook in it but it was obvious from the wounds that the fish had fought a trotline for a long time before getting loose.

I am a huge proponent of fishing. I believe that taking some fish home to eat is fine. I do it myself. I wish that trotlining and jugging weren’t allowed but it has been around for a long time and most people are responsible with their gear and make a living from them. I do wish that everyone who uses these methods respected the game enough to check their lines and gather their catch. As the water gets lower you can see trotlines on almost every stump. It is on the rare situation that I see a gear tag on them. Most of the lines are very very old and have algae growing all over them and haven’t been used in years. The hooks go on killing even after the bait is gone though.

Our opponents to hunting and fishing use these examples against us to try and take away our rights to hunt and fish. WE give them the ammunition they use to fight our way of life.

What I ask of all catfishermen is to cherish and respect the game we seek. Be responsible and represent the sport in a way that gives others a positive view on what we love to do.

It’s not just trotlines and jugs that we need to police. When that fishing line gets old, dispose of it in a proper way. Lets not leave the remains of our sport out there as a hazard to wildlife long after we are done with it.

I appreciate your taking the time to read this.

Scott Bursik

Attached Files:

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Good post Scott and I will have to say I agree with you on your post. There are a lot of fishermen well let me rephrase that people who think they are fishermen who do not care about the game they are taking

3. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    Amen! I say to you. Amen!

4. TexasCatfish

TexasCatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    Very nice post. Sadly there are a lot of people who do not give any thought to the harm that they do to not only fishing, but many other natural sports, and also the environment.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Those are some nice cats.

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Judging from the looks of those cats, I would say they were starving when they got loose. If I were you I would have looked around there close to where you were and checked for that trotline and got rid of it. There is no telling how many more are on it that don't have the strength to break loose from it. This is the kind of trotliners I hate and I mean that:mad: :mad: . It just "Chaps My Frog", when I see stuff like this out there.:mad: :mad: :mad:

7. TexasCatfish

TexasCatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    I don't generally approve of trot lining at all, unless it is used for research purposes. If some people need the fish to live, then it would be nice if they would do it responsibly. It's a lot more fun catching a fish on rod and reel, than pulling them off a trot line.

8. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    There are lots of slobs who ruin things for the rest of us. They only care about themselves and dont think about others. I feel that trotlines have their place, but should be pulled as soon as you are done. I cant tell you how many I have run accross that were unmarked and had rusted hooks. I found the biggest snapping turtle of my life on one. I cut him loose as he would not let me remove the hook from his foot. I would have killed that fish in your pictures. I was raised in farm country and could not let a critter suffer. Please dont think I am criticizing you, as I am not. Perhaps that fish will recover and add to the gene pool. My way would not allow for that. I hpe your reported it to the local game authorities.

9. sbursik

sbursik New Member

State:
    McKinney Texas
    I was thinking it would be a good idea if the state would sponsor a day where all trotlines could be checked by fishermen and if there was no gear tag it would get cut out and hauled in. I know I would participate.

I know that there are a lot of people who run the lines as they should however, from the look of all of the old lines there are a lot of people who dont police themselves as well.

I know the wardens are spread too thin to spend all day checking lines and thats a shame.

Scott

10. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Very good post Scott. It is my way, and wish it was everyones way to leave a place like I was never there and not to trash an area. I have never run across any trot lines on the river I fish. It is always disturbing to see fish caught in such poor condition.

11. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    You know whats sadder then those trotlines being in the water fouling up way more then is ever thought possible? If a game warden sees you removing an old line you could be given a citation for running someone elses line... If that ever happened with me where i got a citation for it, i would take it to court and keep on cutting the old lines...

Scott, i do hope that fish survives and grows to be the next world record just to spite the ass trotliner who left his line in and unattended...

its a real shame that some people just don't have as much respect for the natural resources as they should... :(

12. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Only thing I ever see is a game warden do is run flat out up the middle of the river. They check licens sometime if they see someone fishing. I have never seen a warden checking bank hooks or trot lines for tags unless someone was running them.

13. sbursik

sbursik New Member

State:
    McKinney Texas
    I wish that there were more wardens in our area that could chek them. There are way to many old lines out there. They are litterally everywhere. Not good for the outboards either!

14. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Last time i found a trout line and nobody was near it and no ID on it I pulled it in and released the fish on it. Then i dumped it into a trash can. Was I wrong in doing this??

15. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The river I'm going to tomorrow is full of old bush hooks that have never been removed. That is gonna change tomorrow cuz I'm gonna cut every one that I see. If the game warden sees me doing it, then I'll let him see how old and rusty the hooks are and if he has any common sense he'll know I wasn't fishing them. Last fall me and a friend were jugging and saw a 8-10 lb. blue on a limbline which was almost completely out of the water cause of low levels. The fish had been on there so long that he had bored two holes in his head from spinning trying to get off. The rust from the hook had rubbed off into those holes. Nasty sight to see. I took him off and spared him any more misery. It is a shame, but hey...look what planet we are on guys. What else can you expect?

16. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree there are too many people that use trotlines and jugs for fishing and leave them and dont tend them or whatever. Plus all they are doing are catching the fish to eat so I dont really care for any of it. Good post and it sure is a shame that things like that happen!

17. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I love to trotline, straight up. I actually got my wife, at the time girlfriend, addicted to catfishing (actually fishing in general) by taking her with me to run my lines. Eventually she was eager to help set them out, and it's a lot of hard work if you don't know. I believe it is an exciting way to introduce newcomers and youngsters to fishing. All too often someone gets a bad taste in their mouth the first time out fishing because hours are spent biteless. Taking them with you to check lines is instant gratification and those with short attention spans will be passified. Eventually my wife grew to love fishing and started enjoying the biteless moments and take in all that was around her, which to me is half the fun. There is nothing like having a line in hand and feeling it surge to the bottom with a big fish on the end if it waiting for you to work your way back down again and see her come to the top.

That said, I always use clips on all my lines. Sure it costs $6-7 more but after a weekend of fishing you can take the stages up and leave your main line with intentions to return another weekend and skip half the labor. It's well worth it, nothing is hurt, and my lines stay clean from trash. If I will be sveral weeks coming back to run them again, I'll take my main lines up too.

Don't let a few bad apples spoil your whole outlook on this type of fishing guys.

Allen

18. sbursik

sbursik New Member

State:
    McKinney Texas
    Well done. And see, if HALF of the people out there did it the way you do I dont think we would be having this discussion. Bravo!

19. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Scott, was that Lake Tawakoni you are talking about ? On another thread I spoke about finding these abanded lines out there that were out of the water due to low levels. It was shocking to see so many. My buddy and I took up atleast 30 of them out of one earea. Not a tag one on them.

I wish every trotliner had the idea that KatKaller has. You my friend get rep for being responsible....

20. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    There are to many people that set trotlines and are not being responsible for them. I for one will make note of improper trotlines at lakes I'm on and notify the authorities back on land about them and let them deal with it. Here in Texas, you can get shot if you cut or pull up other peoples trot lines if they see you. It is wise enough to just contact the authorities instead of being shot at and let them handle it.
    I love to set trotlines out but I never leave them for days on end and mine are properly marked with my info. and then removed when I leave for the day.
    Be careful removing other peoples trotlines brothers. I know some of them look old and haven't been checked for days but you just never know when that bullet may come your way. Toooooo many crazy people out there now a days. Thats just my opinion.

AL