Respect in Sports

Discussion in 'NFL Talk' started by Ketch, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    What happened to respect to the other team in sports. Is it now acceptable for a team to run up the score against an obviously worse team?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Gee! I wonder wehat ya are talkin about. LOL! When ya are good and ya can keep the momentum goin I say keep rollin. When ya got an oponent down, keep em down. Ain't much of a patriots fan but dam they are good accross the board.

3. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Yah, I don't know why they had their starters in? The Colts rested their whole first string team in the fourth quarter, because Peyton torched the Panthers in the third for about 250 yards and three touchdowns.lol The first half was ugly though.

4. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I am in no way suggesting to start kneeling down the ball, but come on, let the 2nd and 3rd stringers get some snaps and don't try to embarras your opponent

5. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    I agree with you Ketch, what would have happened if Brady or Moss would have gotten injured? Then Beilicheat's praise wouldn't be so high and he would look like an idiot for playing them up 40 to nothing.:smile2:

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    How about the newly accepted method of icing a kicker by having a ref stand next to you and wait until the "almost" snap the ball and call time.

How sad to have to resort to tricks to try to win at "any" cost.

7. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I am not crazy about this either. I have no problem with calling the timeout early to ice the kicker, but waiting until just before the snap is just petty.

8. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    People can say what that wont about the Pats. Bottom line, they are dang good. Brady is one of the best QB's I've seen and he has a lot of weapons on the feild. not just one guy to throw too. He got the whole team that can do it.:wink:

As for running up the score. RS knew going into the game how good the Pats are and that they average over 30 points a game. They should have prepared better. Look at when Pats played Dallas. Dallas never gave up which is what I think the RS did. Way I see it, maybe thats why the Pats are so good. They keep playing, moving forward. Maybe the RS should
    have done the same. looks like they could have used a little more practice for next weeks game, whats better practice than a real game. Never give up when the clock is running.
    I've seen teams down 28, 30 points and in last quarter, big come back. You cant come back if you whine and give up cause of the score.
    leaving the starters in, well, maybe thats why we dont couch in the NFL and instead cook up BBQ, cold beer and front roll seats looking at the tube. LOL.
    I know the Pats are always working on new plays. IMO, every game they play has something new in it unlike many other teams. "It's a long season," Brady said. "It's not even November yet, and we've got a lot of room for improvement left." He wasnt ready to quit.:wink:
    heck if they get any better, they wont need the starters. LOL.:tounge_out:

Somebody better save up some trick timeouts. LOL.:eek:oooh:
    Some teams are prepared, some aint.:smile2:

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Unfortunately, unlike boxing where the referee can stop the fight or the corner throws in the towel, football games must go on.

All Belichik wants to do is to have Tom Brady break Peyton Mannings record. That's why he was kicking the Redskins while they were down.

I wanna see him try to run the score up on Indy on sunday, it ain't gonna happen!

10. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Saw a tad bit on sportscenter this morning Joe Gibbs was pissed.Can't blame him for being that way.Granted his team needs to have an overhaul so he can get back into a winning season.
    But what the Pats did was down right -----.(Fill In The Blank)It showed a program that has no class at all.If Belichick did this in lets say a Peewee Football game I think there would be some parents after him with a rope.

11. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    "Unfortunately, unlike boxing where the referee can stop the fight or the corner throws in the towel, football games must go on".
    Guess that is why , never give up till the clock runs out.

You will get to see another 30 or more points this weekend. LOL.
    Difference will be, the Colts wont give up, they play much better than the RS and they will be looking for that win till the clock runs down. I bet the Colts will be as prepared as the Pats will be.
    I'm sure Brady will pass PM record before season is over if he doesn't get hurt . You dont get records like that by not scoring. You also dont win superbowls off of records like that. Ask PM.

Enjoy the game. Should be a good one. I plan on having fun that day no matter who wins.

12. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I hear you guys loud & clear. I think it's pretty sorry to do that, but let's not forget that it's still the Redskins' job to stop the Patriots' offense. Didn't happen, and that isn't the Patriots players fault. Belicheck shoulda called off the dogs, but for whatever reason..... looks like he was trying to make a point.

Sometimes running the score up on another team is necessary, actually. Take the "old" bcs formulas in college football (they've since changed them), they used to account for how bad you beat a team. Therefore, you were encouraged to absolutely ravage an inferior team. Also it is necessary to keep your foot on the opponent's throat, for example when OU is beating Texas..... they should absolutely pound the Longhorns into the turf. Beat them with all you've got, utilizing every weapon at your disposal until the final whistle. Just kidding, but it sounded good huh? Even though it's likely that Stoops might actually get another raise for beating them by 40+ pts again.

I'm with you guys though, you oughta let up if you're obviously killing a team. Even though I hate the redskins, I don't see any sense in embarrassing your opponent.

13. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Personally, I have nothing against Brady or any of the Patriot players. In fact, Moss has been one of my favorites ever since he was here in good old Minnesota (I hated that he gave up on plays though). My beef is with Belichek. The players need to do what coach says.

I think Belichek is also going after the all time team scoring record. Brady only needs 2.5 TD's a game to pass Peyton, I don't doubt that he will get it. And it does show what can happen when you have a receiving core.

The Pats coulda thrown in the 2nd and 3rd team. If the RS woulda got within 20, put the starters back in, but c'mon, you lead by 45 and you need 1st string.

14. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    This is pro football not Pee Wee league. most of You fellas complaining are Colts fans......You fellas sound nervous!

You do realize that when the pats and colts have met in the playoffs the team with homefield advantage Has Always won.

15. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I am not a colts fan. I actually like brady and moss

16. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I said Most Chad. and They should Be nervous!

I know your a vikes fan.

I see guys points, but I also realize it the players and coaches job to pound the crap out of the other team.

Sometimes puttin an ass whoopin on another team can be an advantage down the road, other times it gives the beaten team reason to play harder. its a double edged sword

17. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I knew ya said most:wink:

I'm kinda torn personally. I like Moss, and I like Dungy.

In reality, all I am rooting for is a great game. I got a buddy with cold beer and 52" lcd. It's gonna be a blast.

18. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i coached high school basketball for six years. my opinion has always been if you are winning that bad, then pull the starters, slow the tempo, and try to just maintain what you have going..usually, you lose alittle momentum when doing this, but...as long as the game is secure..one point is as good as a hundred... with that said, the other team should somewhat surrender as well...ex. im beating you by 30, gonna play my worst kids and slow the tempo trying not to increase the score...respect me for that..so in return, don't go press and try to change the already settled outcome.. the sad thing is, alot of coaches would jump at the opportunity of seeing the third string team, and place the starters back in the game and press!!! results then....PREPAPE TO GET YOUR A$$ KICKED!!!!! So, it has to be a mutal understanding between both sides...rollo

19. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    this ain't grade school - it is the highest level of the sport, and professionals play it..here is what Bill had to say about it, and i can find no room to disagree with him.

Bill to the criticism

"I've been coaching too long," Belichick said. "I remember being on that side. When I was coaching defense it was my job to keep the score down, not theirs. When you're playing defense it's your job to stop them. It's not [the offense's] job to not score. It's like I tell the offense, what the [bleep] do you think I send you guys out there for? To punt? We have a punt team for that. That's not your job. Your job is to go out there and score points. If you come off the field and you haven't scored points you haven't done your job."

20. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I see both sides of the argument, but, the Redskins had the same time to prepare for the game, the same number of players in the field and the same oportunity once the game started. If they are concerned about being emberresed by the other team why not see it as being emberresed at the poor performence they had, the game started 0-0.

I have been on the loosing end of games like that and it is not fun but I have never been upset at the guys on the other team, but I have been upset at myself when I could have made some plays and I did not. I feel like I have noone to blame but myself and my team when we have lost like that.