Resevoir Flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by unclebear174, Sep 13, 2006.

1. unclebear174

unclebear174 New Member

State:
    ky
    When the thermocline breaks up and the flatheads have free roam of the lake, where is the best places to look for fall and winer flatheads. The resevoir I fish has a winter drawdown and deep water is 30-40 feet. There are big fih in the lake but I am having trouble hooking into them. Any suggestions?

2. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Knowing more about the reservior, structure and such would help, but I would think the flatheads will still come into the shallows at night to feed. Anywhere there are baitfish at night they should come.

3. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Look around the old main river channel. In the wintertime flats hang around that area. Any deepwater structure you should be able to find them.

4. smoke

smoke New Member

State:
    Indiana
    will the flatheads keep biting through out the winter or is there a time frame when we should stop fishing for them?

5. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    It has been my experience that the really good flattie fishing stops when water temp gets to about 50-55 deg you might get a straggler now and again but you should probably target blue cats when the water gets cooler than that :big_smile:

6. bigtimeblues

bigtimeblues New Member

State:
    missouri, macon
    I've got to agree with Tomahawk on this one. You can catch flaties during the winter too, but you have to be right on them. Check out the deep holes and old river channels. But they certainly aren't as active or agressive as when the water is warmer. I like to size my bait down a little in cold water too.