Reservoir Flatheads

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Apache Flats, May 10, 2008.

1. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    I fish at a reservoir that is 620 acres/water temp right now is around 70 /max dept is around 32 feet. My question is should I be fishing in shallow water say around 4-10 feet or in deeper water this time of year. In sept - oct I do really well in 10 13 feet at this lake. Thanks for any info I can get on this.

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We've been fishing in a smaller lake too. Maximum depth is 14' and we've been catching them at night right up next to the bank. Floating bluegils with no weight. Very shallow at night.:crazy:

3. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Never used a bobber for flatties, do you use a big bobber? Also how long of a leader do you use? Sounds interesting to try it out next time.

4. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    I use a big float and no weight. I fish the bluegill about 4-5 feet under the float. With no weight...the bluegill can slap the top of the water and that is what seems to be catching the fish.:crazy:

5. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    Also most of the time....the float comes right up to the bank in just a couple feet of water and that seems to be working great. We caught 2 in the last 2 weeks that weighed over 40 each.:crazy:

6. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    My next trip is on the 30th, if I dont get any runs in the 10-13 range on the first night I will try shallow with a bobber on the 2nd night. Thanks