Reservoir flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Blacky, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    @*^%$&# Reservior is located in SE PA. After the September 11 attacks, it was closed off to the public due to security reasons. To make this place even more restricted, they built a golf course, country club, and million dollar homes around it. This place has not be fished for 6 years! This certain reservior was the first place in SE PA to report flathead catfish over 15 years ago. I've seen pics of 60lbers caught out of there back in the day before the lake closed.

I have been lucky enough to know someone who was able to get permission for us to fish the lake overnight nest weekend.

I have no experience whatsover targeting flatheads in big lakes or reserviors.

Can you guys help me out and give me some pointers? Is there specific areas the hold in? Should I fish shallow or deep? Should I use the same river tactics.

thanks and peace out!

2. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    if its really hot hit the deep water,when it cools down at night head shallow,find out where the water is coming into the lake,and use the biggest blue gill u can get and good luck!

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Blacky,
    If it's surrounded by high $$$ homes it will probably be a zoo during the day with speedboats and jet skis. If this is so I would focus on fishing at night and scouting the place out during the day. At night, shallow flats adjacent to the creek channel would be worth looking at as would the shallower water adjacent to the deep water by the dam.
    If there is a no-wake zone or better still a no-go area for the speed merchants check it out. If they left any kind of timber such as a stump field in the upper part or submerged trees along the flooded creek channel give them a good look too. If there are islands with fallen trees in the water or any other kind of dead falls that will attract bait fish they would be good places to try.
    If you are lucky enough to get a decent rain prior to or during your trip check the areas where any creeks or streams might be washing food into the lake. That will attract the bait and that will attract the cats.
    let us know how you do...W

4. revolver

revolver New Member

State:
    Chicago il
    I think they all pretty much summed it up.During the day fish deep in the current around rivers or creeks that might feed into it.

5. rafter

rafter New Member

State:
    AZ
    What about fishing around the dock at night?

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    How did you do at @*^%$&# Reservoir?
    ...W