Reservoir fishing

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by shortbus, Jun 3, 2006.

1. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    here in central indiana we have a reservour that has not been filled to summer pool for about 6 years. The past 2 years its been filled full but because of the lack of water for those years it was low, it has tons of overgrowth in it. The main channel where I fish is 20-25 feet deep and slopes up to about 10 feet pretty steep. Anywhere in the 10 foot deep areas all the way to the bank is trees and bushes. It looks like huge crappie beds. I'm not talking about small areas, more like 100-200 feet from the bank is all brush,1000's of acres of water is like this. I ran the boat up and down the channel and marked zero fish on the finder. How should I fish an area like this? It's like it has so much structure I don't even know where to look. I can get to where the river comes into the reservour should I be looking there?

2. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would guess its going to be very hard to find a large group of fish. I would think they are shattered all over these good habitats and might be full too. I would keep on the move and use my fish finder a lot.

3. TastyWhisker

TastyWhisker New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would jug it. This would help maximize your potential for finding fish because you set many lines at all different depths and you can estimate the time the bite turns on. Trotline would also work, just check them often so you know when the fish move to that depth.

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Stop looking and start fishing. It seem like a pain to you but it sounds like a lot of homes for fish. With that much cover you would have a hard time marking fish but I bet they are there.

5. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I have to agree with him... sounds to me like you wasted a day of fishing by looking around... Don't always go by what your depthfinder says for fish down there... Go and find a spot you think looks fishy and fish it... if you don't catch anything try another spot... and so on and so on till you find them

6. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I was checking out my new lowrance depth finder during the day by running the channel. I moved alot at night fishing the edges of the brush and trees thinking they were there. Also drifted across the channel in several places trying to locate them. My post was more along the lines of "how would you fish this area" sorry if it doesn't come across that way.:embarassed: