required boat safety equipment question

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by foothills, Dec 30, 2007.

1. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    do you have to have (by law) signal flares on your boat??...the way i read the dnr law is that it is only required for offshore boats...is that right or do we need them on our local lakes??

2. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Foothills, I went to the SC dnr site for boating laws and it states that only waters under federal control like Great lakes, Seas and Intercoastal waterways are reqiured to have signal flares.

I'm not saying I'm right but would take this to mean we don't have to have one.:wink: It also can't hurt us to have one either. Hope this helps.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Yeah, Craig & Doug, you're pretty much right. Very good question, too. They aren't required on fresh waters in the state, but on coastal waters they are required on boats 16' or longer.

This is not to say that they aren't a highly recommended item at any time. :wink: I actually have two sets in my boat, because I do quite a bit of salt water fishing.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Good question and somewhat confusing.

NO, you do not need flares on your boat as part of your required safety equipment for operation on lakes and rivers.

5. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    A good question, I didn't think we needed them, but I didn't actually know. I do have some, as they came with a kit of stuff I bought. So thanks for a good question, and thanks for the answer. Later Andy