Requesting advice for fall Santee trip

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by tillmac, Jul 14, 2009.

1. tillmac

tillmac New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm planning on hitting Santee for 2 days in mid October to early November. Do you think spending a day on each lake makes sense, or should I just stick to Moultrie. Any guide recommendations would also be appreciated.

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC

3. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Might as well hire one of the Top 5 Catfisherman in the country, And that man is Roundhill!:wink:

4. nparchery

nparchery New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Well.......if it was me....and this is just me.........If you know a little something about fishing on either lake, I would check the reports often and make the call on where to fish at the last possible time. You could stay in a central area (Canal Lakes as example) and you would be close to about everything except the extreme upper end of Marion. Tuff decision to make.The Flatheads in Marion will be starving at that time and drifting seems work good on Moultrie then. Best idea?...........Just stay a week at each lake and you can't go wrong! LOL!

5. tillmac

tillmac New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks Npar - I wish I could stay a couple of weeks!! I've fished the lakes 8 or so times in 30 years, but mostly I've fished Moultrie for cats. All I've done in Marion is crappie fish twice, although I did hang a big something with a hand size live crappie on the bottom during my first trip to Santee on the river channel ledge outside of Bells. Whatever it was, it took all the line and then snapped it at the reel and never even thought about looking back. 30 lb test on a No. 9 Penn Peerless.

6. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    First off welcome to the BOC!!
    I will have to agree with Pop Pop and WylieCat.............Roundhill is the best! I hope he gives me a dollar for sayin that!:smile2: I would spend a day with the Fishing With Roundhill Guide service and spend the next on my own. The fish catchin will be great and the story tellin even better! :eek:oooh: I hope ya have fun!!

never even thought about looking back!
    P.S. that sounded like a Smackdown in the makin!!!:wink:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  7. scwolf

scwolf New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Drew,

I will definately second everyone's advice on hiring Roundhill! My dad and I went out with him last Fall about the same time you are planning on going to Santee, the pic is of our catch last year with Roundhill in the fall.

Attached Files:

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The ONE and ONLY... R-O-U-N-D-H-I-L-L!!!!!!

BB in SC

9. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Try Jim from Fishfinder Guide Service on the lower lake.

10. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Go Robbie!! Coming thru with the 'BRAGGIN BOARD' proof pics!!:eek:oooh::roll_eyes:

11. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Either lake is good but if you haven't fished much on those lakes, a guide is good to have. Just sit back and let them do the work. :smile2: Here is a few we caught on the lower lake at night. I'm the nice looking guy with the dark blue coat and camo hat squating down.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  12. killerporkchops

killerporkchops New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My daddy wants me to go down to santee.
    Is it great to fish down there??
    I mean like is there anythinggreat to catch?? :001: