reputation points

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by stinkbaitman, Jun 11, 2008.

1. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    how do reputation points work? im not annoyed at anyone but as an example ive noticed one member that joined in late 2005, has 2 posts, and somewhere in the area of 36000 rep. points. what is the system for reputation points?

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    No real system Cody, what happens is you post something of value to another member, that member likes it and reps you for it. It could be something as simple like a joke that makes them laugh. To give you click on the star in the upper right and corner and you can put in a private message (up to so many characters to the person your reping).

Meant to add that if you click on User CP you can see who has repped you and who you have repped.

3. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    k thanks i added to your rep for helping me out!

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Cody,
    Ryang covered it very well.
    As far as the example you gave... Maybe I gave the guy a rep. I try to give all new members a rep.
    Due to the points I have when I give someone a rep it is right at 29,000 points.

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

This is from the FAQ section (under Quick Links, FAQ, BOC Specific FAQ's).

For every 180 days, members gain 1 point reputation-altering power

For every 500 posts, members gain 1 point reputation-altering power

For every 150 points reputation received, members gain 1 point reputation-altering power

So, if someone's been a member since '05.....they've gained a bit just from time as a member. Plus, if folks liked the two posts that person made and repped him/her (especially if it was members with high reputations themselves, then you have more points to give) it stands to reason said person could have 36,000 points.

Hope this helps. :big_smile:

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This is interesting because a couple of days ago, I read a post where a guy had finally caught a big fish, and made a post about it. He has been a member for a couple of years, but rep was on zero. I repped him. Is rep power not reflected in the number of rep points displayed? Like, would that guy have more rep power than a new member even though they both have zero rep? Just curiosity.

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    KITH the rep altering power is not what is displayed on the screen that is just how many reps you have. The altering power is in the CP

8. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    this is the exact person i was talkin about

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I thought that sounded familiar. :smile2:

Also, I wasn't trying to confuse anybody with my question. I was just curious. Thanks Gary. Now I understand. :tounge_out:

10. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I'm succeeding in confusing MYSELF at this point and need to clarify the sentence above. It should say "They've gained a bit of rep-altering POWER just from time as a member."

According to what I quoted from the FAQ, a member of two years (even with zero rep showing on the main board) should have 8 pts. of rep power (what he/she can give someone ELSE). 24 months divided by 3 months(180 days) = 8.

So no, a brand new member with zero reputation SHOWING would not have those particular 8 pts. to give. Now if somehow (by bein' on here 24/7?) they've managed to make 500 posts, they should have ONE rep-altering power point.

If that's not right, I give up. Never was good at math. :smile2:

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Its like candy. Ya eat it all or share it with folks.:cool2: