Republican River

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Catfish Fever, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    We've been fishing the Republican River North of Wakefield and having pretty fair success. Nothing big, but a lot of action with the eater size. We just find a hole that's deeper than the water up or down river and they're there.

2. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey Jim, be careful or you'll give away the good spots:smile2:. I'm not even from around there and I know that when you say "when the water gets a little deeper" that limits it to only about two or three spots. Just kidding... good to hear you guys are still having success. Around here (Rolla, MO) temperatures really have been unseasonably warm for the time of year it is. If I can remember right, this time last year we started about a 2 month streak of 15 or below temps. Sounds like you guys are still having decent fishing weather too.

3. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Hey Steve, nice to hear from you again.
    Not to worry about giving away the location of the "good" fishing holes, I give a "Catfisherman's" directions (I LIE) :smile2:.Actually, there's a lot more than two or three holes, specially now with the water up. Went to a different place, on the lake, this evening. I was only there for a couple of hours and hooked 5 and landed 3 eater's, so I figured it was a good evening, which comes to early now, far as I'm concerned. I think this is the time of year we need "daylight saving time":smile2:
    I used to go through Rolla and Lebenon(?) on my way to Bennet Springs when I was stationed in Ft Leonard Wood, I loved it there. If I'd of been there when I retired, that's where I'd have stayed.
    As far as I'm concerned, if the water ain't hard, it's good fishing weather:smile2:

4. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I'll see you around if you are there this weekend Jim. I didn't make it a couple weekends ago. Got sicker than a dog and stayed in bed the whole weekend. But I plan on getting out Friday and Saturday.

5. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jay, the way the weather man's talking, we should be up there this coming Saturday and Sunday. Just hope he know's what he's talking about:roll_eyes:We've had forcasts of bad weather and it turned out nice, and vice versa, we'll see. Be nice to visit with you again.

6. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jay, we were at our "usual place" today, at the bluff, caught a few, pretty nice ones though. Looked for you, but no luck there, figured something came up for you. We'll be there again tomorrow, hope you can make it.

7. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Jim, I made it out Saturday but didn't have a good day. I brought a long a half dozen crawdads I had left in my bait tank. I decided to stop by school creek ramp and net some shad. I got my net out, went down to the ramp and all the lines were broken on my cast net. I went back to the boat and opened the compartment to put the net back and noticed mouse droppings!. I looked at my net and sure enough a mouse chewed all the mono lines in several places. I opened up all the compartments and there were mouse droppings and urine stench in most of them! I am pretty mad at this point. I decide to put in right there at school creek and just go out to the Island and fish for a while. On the way out to the Island there is Styrofoam blowing everywhere on the boat. The little monsters go under the gunwales and chewed the hell out of the Styrofoam under it. I fished for a couple hours with my crawdads with no luck. I am steaming mad at the mice by this point and just pack in and head home. I spent most of the day Sunday setting 6 snap traps, 1 live trap, 1 electronic trap that zaps the mice when caught and 2 glue traps all over the boat. I need to get them caught quickly before they chew through wiring or other important stuff. It is officially war on the mice!