REPUBLICAN RIVER(N of the lake)

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Catfish Fever, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jerald and me took a trip up to Smith Bottoms aways up on the Republican Tuesday, lot of water coming down, built up rime ice along the shore, but the river was open and running pretty good. Not fishable with the ice flows coming down though, soon though, hopefully.

Attached Files:

2. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Looking better down there than up here Jim. We got a huge bottle neck of ice here at the bridge. It is backed up a half mile or so.

3. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Bout a quarter mile down river from the ramp, it was pretty ice choked to Jay. Where we were at, that river was moving at a pretty good pace.

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Thanks for the pics Jim. Nice to see Jerald is still alive.:laugh:
    My river down here is completely open, but that might change by the end of the week.:sad:

5. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    This is the same place I took you and Ashley when you visited. The only difference was the river was about 5 foot or so lower then:laugh1:

6. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    I wanta go fish'n. Thanks for the Pictures Jim.

7. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Thinking about taking a ride up to Broughton bridge tomorrow, (just S of Clay Center), just to see what the river looks like up there now. It's South and East of the bridge Jay mentioned, and about 5 or so miles North of where I took the pictures .

8. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    The river at Broughton bridge is starting to clear up some, from the ice floes, it's running a little over 1000, might have to give it a shot later this week if the weather keeps going the way it has been, got up to 47 again today.

9. Bullfoot

Bullfoot New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey Jim, I heard from a buddy that a guy he works with caught a 40lb blue at milford last weekend. Do you think there is truth to that? He didnt have info on location or bait.

10. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Hey John, where the heck ya been? Good to see you postin again.

11. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Hey John, welcome back. Even if he showed a picture, I'd kind of doubt it, maybe if the pic was him standing out on the ice somewhere, holding it. Lake was froze up solid again last weekend, couple open spots out in the middle of the lake where the ducks and geese were keeping it open. Was up by Wakefield too, no differance up there either. BUT, I guess anything is possible, it's the probability factor that's doubtfull though.

12. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Here's a few pictures of the river at the Broughton bridge, didn't get up there till the day before yesterday.
    Where there was open water, it was flowing at a pretty good clip, took some bait and poles, but it didn't look to good, so I just took the pics.

Attached Files:

13. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Member

State:
    Kansas
    Did you get a chance to check out madison creek? off of 77 bridge? Week before last there was a decent hole opened up under the bridge and off the rocks on the west bank of the creek. Could be possible it came from there, when i drove by there was at least 4 trucks parked down there, only open water i could see period

14. Bullfoot

Bullfoot New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey thanks Kyle its good to be back around. Im ready to throw out a couple of tons of ice melt on the lake and get the poles in the water! Jim, i figured it was another one of those "fishing stories" i didnt think the ice was off, but just figured i would check.

15. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Thanks for the tip Matt, took a trip up to Madison Creek today, LOTS of open water up there, was gonna take some pics, couldn't believe I FORGOT MY CAMERA. I don't get over to that side of the lake to often, I may run up there again tomorrow, WITH THE CAMERA, to get some pics, depending on the weather, for sure gonna take a couple of poles and bait. Be kinda hard for me to get down across the rocks to the water, but it sure does look inviting.

Have to revise my comments about someone catching a big Bluecat after seeing what it looks like there at Madison, I'd have to say now, there's a pretty good possiblity of catching something at least. The waters open in both directions of the bridge, on the West side it goes out quite a way. In the past, I have caught some nice Cats back in there too. Try to post some pics tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010