Reports

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by JAYNC, Sep 23, 2006.

1. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Just wondering if anyone is fishing, are you catching anything. I was thinking about going maybe tonight but I dont want to drive 45 minutes away and waste gas if nothing has been biting. Thinking maybe about going to spring garden on the neuse, but not sure yet.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I haven't been in almost a month now! But I plan on fishing early tommorow morning at Gaston lake.

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Havn't had a bit of luck all year so any member that can and does catch fish I'm happy for ya.Iknow for me it's really alot of fun when their in a feeding frenzy!:big_smile: pk powell

4. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    Just got back in from spring garden in new bern.Caught one 18 pound flathead on a live brim and one 9 pound blue on cut brim.Lost a nice one also.Seems like at about 9:00 they were biting great for an hour then the bite went dead.stayed out until 11:30 without another bite.Going try again this week ill let you all know how we did :smile2:

5. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    went tonight to a place near were i caught 56 lber two weeks ago. had good luck too. lost 3 and caught 3 all in the 15 to 25 lb range. in all was pretty fun. always is when you are with freinds and enjoying self.

6. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    Havent been out in couple weeks. I set out some eel pots this past friday and I am hoping to have my own bait when I get back out tomorrow night.

7. dredgeman

dredgeman New Member

State:
    n.c.
    i went this morning caught a 5.5 &7.5 blue. had my line broke yesterday morning . i fish the pee dee river:cool2:

8. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    here is a picture of the 18 pound flathead from last night.

Attached Files:

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I got a 11lb Blue Cat this morning.

10. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    cool zakk :cool2: what did he bite on? Was he in deep or shallow?The flathead i caught was on the edge were it went from deep to shallow more towards the shallow

11. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    nice cat tammee. those cats in the nuese are so green colored it is amazing. here in cat they are more brown and black. hope to get up with jason soon and come up there and fish. talk to you all soon.

12. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I would like to get out there sometime this weekend if the weather is nice. Right now I cant even put my boat in the water, since it has about 10 holes in it. I took everything that is Lowrance out of my boat. I had 3 Lowrance X-107's and all three of them shorted out just from rain. I am going to get a garmin 178C I think. But hopefully soon I will get out on the water and catch some big fish.

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I was fishing with a whole 5 inch shad threaded on the hook, and where we were fishing there was also a ledge, it is a very long point that drops from like 5ft deep to 30ft deep. I made a perfect cast directly on the drop off and it didn't take long.:big_smile:

14. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    You got holes in your boat???? Is that your new boat....what happened did I miss a post....Did you hit something????

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Would someone do a post on how to fish with and handle eels?I would greatly appreciate it.I have heard of using a little sand to handle them but how do you hook them,do you fish them live or dead,whole or cut.I would like to try some at Santee and see what happens.Do they live out of water?I would also like to fish the Neuse with some one familiar with it. I have everything from boat to Z :lol:I'm just 40 minutes from New Bern.:smile2:

16. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jason, what's going on with those X-107's? Does Lowrance offer an explanation? That concerns me because I have one of those too, and like it a lot. 'Course, my boat doesn't have holes, so I don't run mine underwater :wink: but they are supposed to be waterproof. Haven't had any problems so far. Just curious what Lowrance has to say about that many units having a problem. Now, if you have any left-over units, I'd take 'em. hehe

17. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    The holes in the boat are just from where I had the speed wheel and the transducer and the wire clamps mounted on the stern. They will be easy to fix I just have to get down to west marine to exchange it for a garmin. I liked the depth finder a lot until they started turning on by themselves and draining the battery. I wrote lowrance like 4 emails and every time they wrote back they didn't have a real answer, almost like I was talking to a wall about it. They finally told me to call one of their other employees. I never called them, I am just going to exchange it for a garmin and hopefully that one will be good. I really didn't want to take all the lowrance stuff out of the boat because now I have to re-wire everything but it wont take that long I guess.

As for eels all I do is keep them in the livewell and when I need one I scoop them up in the net. Then I use a dry towel to hold them while I cut them in half. If I am using a whole one I still cut about 2-3 inches off the tail, this prevents the eels from tangling up in your leader( AS BAD). If I am using them cut in half I prefer the head side since they will still stay alive for sometimes hours. This will entice flatheads to bite them since they are still alive, and this will bring the blues and channels in because they are bleeding into the water. I use Gamakatsu octopus between 7/0-10/0 depending on the size of the bait. I dont use the circles but I'm sure they would work if thats what you like to use.

Well hopefully I explained the eels, and I will let everyone know about how the new garmin is working when I install it and use it.

18. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    As far as the eels go thats pretty much all I fish with most of the time since the state record was caught with them. I hook them 3 different ways. Live eels anywhere from 1ft-2ft long, hook them 1 inch above and behind their anal hole. I use an old handle to hammer and hit the eel 2 or 3 times about 1/4 way up from tail. That way it breaks his back in the spot and he cant wrap around in your line and he stays alive for hours. You can also hook them up through the nose and break his tail like above and this works excellent. Also cut like Jason was talking about works very well.

19. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Nice flathead Tammee.thanks for picture.

20. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    nice fish zakk.