Report on Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by CatsNstripers, Jun 2, 2009.

1. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    This Spring's slowluck for me hopefully is starting to turn around for me (knock on wood) Here on Smith Mountain Lake. Finally starting to find a few larger flatheads. Though the flatheads havent been monster'us but action has been good. Focusing in shallow water 2-12ft, with live gizzard shad mostly.

The Channel Cats have been numerous and big in size too. I havent targeted them, but while chasing Flatheads and stripers at night, they've been hitting. And alot of them are ranging 10-13lbs. They've been readly hitting live baits, even big gizzard shad and cutbaits. The channels i've found are running in 2ft on the bank to 20ft deep on main lake points. and Hard fighting to, expecially on light tackle, I've been casting out a light action rod or two, just to tangle with a big channel while fishing for other fish.

Attached Files:

2. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Great Travis! Pictures are great, sure woul like to hook in to something like the fish you have been catching, your patence has paid off. thakns for the post!

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Great report and thanx for the pics.

4. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey your catching them, I wish I could catch some flatheads like that. Right now the river is too high to look for the holes. Then they spawn if they're not already. As soon as the river gets low I'll find them.
    later
    david

5. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    The flats are probally spawning right now on the Rivers, i'd assume. Here on Smith Mtn Lake the water temps are from 75-79, and Generaly the Rivers range roughly 6 degrees cooler. And Flatheads typically spawn in waters 68-74degrees. So that should put that right there for the Flathead Love to commence. That second picture I attached, the first one is my girlfriend and the second is my boy, Poot, but the picture is a Flathead that just finished spawning. You can Notice how skinny and under weight that fish is, but it was still very healthy. So i guess the spawn is wrapping up here on Smith mtn..

I'm unsure how to tell the difference between a male and a female Flathead. So i dont know if that skinny Flat was a boy or girl. But I do know the Male Flathead will stay and guard the nest and then guard the Fry after the female lays the eggs. And doing so the Male Flathead wont eat at all. And of corse when a female is laying eggs, i assume she loses a great amount weight aswell, not just the weight of the eggs.. Any how..

6. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Thanks for the great pictures, Travis. It sounds like you know your flatties pretty well!