report from the obx

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by moose22dog, Sep 14, 2009.

1. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    whats up guys, some of yinz might not of know that i went on vaction last week and just wanted to share a report. i went down with matt(vinestbew) and we had been wanting to do some sharking from shore, we both brought our yaks with us and over the summer bought a big setup i got a dawia sealine 900 with a costume stand up rod, he got a penn senator 114hlw 6/0 with a penn tuna rod. so need least to say we were really pumped to hook a big toothy basterad.
    well we never got a chance to kayak our baits out cause from sunday till wedsday there was a blow from the norhteast at 30-40 knt and the waves were 4-7 ft and bigger. i tried on wedsday but only made about 20 yrds before she picked me up and throw me like a rag doll, it really shows you the power of mother nature when she can do that to a 6'2" 240# guy..lol.

i did mange to catch a big butterfly sting ray from the pier it was about 5 ft wide and 100#, it took me about 45 min to get to the pier and another 15 to gaff it and bring it up.(you have to rember that it was pouring down rain and wind blowing 30 mph at the end of a pier) got it on a whole 12 in blue and was useing a steel and mono leader i made, was cool that it didn't break or crimps didnt slip, first time makeing one. was weird bite though it ran for 5-8 sec then stoped, so i let it go and drank a beer and burned one. than decied to check my bait and as soon as i put pressure on it it just tore off and the fight was on, took me about 15 min just to get it off the bottom. and two days later i went back out on there pier and only had a run that broke me off, but it seemed like a shark and a local said so also still was cool in about 15-20 sec he took atleast 50-75 yrds, my reel went from 0 to 100 just like that..lol
    well this will more than likely get moved to salt water forum just wanted share with my pa bros first, here's a link for pics i still can't get them to upload on here. http://s562.photobucket.com/albums/ss66/moose22dog/
    tight lines..justin

2. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    That's awesome man. My friends do A LOT of beach sharkin from Bethany Beach and get into a lot of big ones. I plan on getting a setup this summer and getting into it. I have an ocean kayak so i'm ready to roll. Hope you get better weather next time. A foot long cut of stingray wing is one of the best baits you can use for sharkin, but i'm sure you already knew that. Good luck man

3. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
  4. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Thanks for the report Justin! That is a big stingray! :cool2:

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I guess this means I aint getting my sharktooth!:sad2:.

6. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    nice.

7. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    Thanks for sharing

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Them rays make a flathead feel like a bluegill!

Isn't it cool to test your tackel to it's limit?:cool2:

9. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Thank you for the report.

Ray

10. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    ya lou, i must of read that book about 10 times and my budy was able to join northcarilonasharkfishing.com which is a sister site from tx-sharkfishing. i was pumped the first day there we went fishing in front of the house and was able to land a few skates for bait. but never got a chance to yak them out.
    and you said tan about rays they pull like nothing else, and now i can say i caught a 100# fish on my surf rod(aka flat rod). now i can't wait to go back and yak a bait out 400yrds and see what happens...tight lines..justin