Report from the congaree.

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Skipper, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Skipper

Skipper New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Fished the congaree below the 601 bridge sat night. Went down about a mile past the wateree and fished our way back towards the 601 bridge. Fished deep hole w/ brush, shallow shoals, dead in the middle shallow and deep. All over we tried. Caught 6 fish between 4 and 14 lbs with most being around 7 or 8 lbs. Not a real good night and found no pattern so to speak. Fresh cut herring was the bait. Decent water flow in the congaree river with the wateree muddying the place up. Tried the muddy and the clear water. Saw only a few boats that night. One highlight of the trip was there was two boats flying up river towards us ( IN THE DARK). The lead boat spotted us but wasnt courteous enough to slow down when he passed us. He made a split second decision when he got right up to us and zigged when he should've zagged. Picked the wrong side and ran his john boat all up on a sand bar. So then he decided to appologize. Yeah After he made fool of himself. PEOPLE......When you see a boat fishing in a narrow river slow your dumb A$$ down and then when you pass speed back up. Oh... and saw two alligators too.

2. IndianCoach

IndianCoach New Member

State:
    S.C.
    The Congaree is a difficult river to fish. I have caught some great size fish out of there but the overall numbers I could never accomplish. I even tried to pattern the channels there and still a 5 or 6 fish night is to me a good one there. It is beautiful, close to home but I would have and am fishing Marion more. I go to the Congaree a bit and rarely do I see people catching fish. If you could pattern them you would be able to fill the boat. I stiil go and probably still will. I hear a bunch of people talk about how they used to do it. I wish I could wear them out one time.

3. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    try gizzard shad next time your not the first to have a idiot not slow down just a few weeks ago we had a bass boat come up river and didnt see us until he was about 20yds from us then swerved left and took out several of our lines and never slowed down we had our anchor light and a coleman latern hanging about 4ft above the center console

4. johnboy

johnboy New Member

State:
    Columbia SC
    gators huh....never seen any up that far....never even heard of them being up that far from the swamp...good catch too....14 lbs is a treasure to me in the ol congaree!!

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I see plenty of gators on the upper Santee and on up to 601 bridge on the Congaree. I often wonder about those folks that have all those campsites along the banks of the upper santee river, only a few inches above water level. :crazy:

6. davidcarolina

davidcarolina New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Skipper, Thanks for the report. I guess its back to Monty..

7. Skipper

Skipper New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Yeah, going to monticello thurs. Probably get there late morning. Gonna try some drifting this time and try to catch some white perch for sun eve.