Report from Lower St. Francis

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by Arkie55, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I met my fishing partner at 5:00 am Friday morning at his place in Wynn. We headed to the Lower St. Francis below Huxtable Pumping Station for a day of fishing. We had decided Thursday night to set a few bank lines as we went down river and then Rod and Reel fish the rest of the day. Our plan was to pull the lines as we headed back to the landing. We were on the river by 6:20. First five lines set and baited across from the landing. Two more before we left the flood way. One across from the mouth of the flood way and so on it went until we had set 20 lines total. That gave us 100 hooks fishing while we made our way toward the mouth of the Mississippi. We set up on our first hole about a mile above the mouth at 8:30. We didn't even get a tap!!!!:mad: That was the story of the morning and early afternoon. Nothing to show and only a few, very few bites and no runs.:crying: I actually caught the first fish at 3:00 pm. It was good solid 3lb blue. On that hole we had a couple more bites but no runs. At 3:30, we headed for the landing and our first line. The first three lines we ran were empty.:sad: The next one was gone!!!! The cotton staging has broke and we lost everything except the name tag. On the next line, we had a 2lb blue which we promptly lost as we took him off the line. He slipped out of my partners hand, hit the side of the boat, and back into the river.:sad: We just sat and had a good chuckle on that one. It was perfect picture of our day. The next line also has a fish. This one we landed. The next line was empty. The next three line all had fish. Things were looking up.:p To make this a little quicker, we ended up with 11 fish total. The largest four were: a Blue that went 11lb and 11 oz, a Blue that went 10lb and 15oz, a Channel that went 9lb and 15oz, and a Channel that went 9lb and 10oz. Of the other 7, we only had two below 3lbs and most would average about 4lbs. All in all it ended up a pretty good day with a total catch of real close to 60lbs of fish. Although we both were hoping the Rod and Reel fishing would be better, it was still a great day on the river.;) I'm ready to do it again!!!!!!:) :p ;)

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Thanks for the update. Atleast, you caught a few nice ones. I have not been in a while so I have no updates. Come Arkies give us the updates good or bad! If you just went fishing sure would like to hear. :)

3. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    terry , i sure would like to know what u were baiting with ................ thanks .............

4. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Hey Coach,
    All we had was frozen Skipjack. The skipjack we baited our lines with was two years old and some had been thawed and re-frozen. We've tried rice-slicks (small bream), fresh shad, and frozen skipjack the last three years. In every case, the frozen skipjack has outfished all the other bait. It really seemed to us this past Friday the the fish didn't bite until at least 3:00 pm. Every fish we had on our lines was real lively and none were worn out from fighting the limb.

We did talk to a number of different folks that had lines set out Thursday night. None of them had much to show for it. One guy did have a 40+ pound blue but that was about all he had to show for his effort. Talked to another guy that caught 40# Thursday night. He had one line with 35 hooks and 15 Jugs. He was putting in for another go of it Friday night as we were loading up. Several folks camping at the ramp Friday as well.

By the way, all of our fish were caught during the day.

5. ArkansasCat

ArkansasCat Member

State:
    Batesville Arkansas
    Terry, We fished the Miss. river at Osceola Saturday and didn't do any good either. We fished hard all day till dark and caught 1 blue cat that was about 3lbs and had only about 10 bites. I know of some other fellers that had bad reports also. I don't know what's wrong with these ol' catfish here lately.

6. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I guess we were just looking for excuses but the way the wind was blowing Friday, and with the Mississippi on the rise, we had zero current in the lower St. Francis. Actually, the wind was blowing debre and our bait up-stream and not down. Made it very difficult to postion the boat and present baits as they should have been presented.

7. 8898dan

8898dan New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Me and a friend fished the Fourche Lafave river at Perryville Saturday night. Had no luck on rod and reel either, but we had about 20 limblines baited with small perch. About 3:00 am, they started biting good. This was exactly when the moon was directly overhead. It think that had something to do with it. We ended up with 20 cats. One 20# blue and several blues in the 5 - 7# range. Total weight was about 65#. The river had virtually no current, but I think the fish came out of the deep holes to feed when that moon got overhead. Glad we stuck it out because we were debating going home about 1:00.