Report from day 1

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by RetiredToFish, Nov 11, 2008.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Turned pretty cold last night and didn't look like very many animals moved much ... I did manage to get 10 muskrats and 1 opossum ... lost one trap to someone or somthing .... and had a mink get away ... (fur in the trap).
    I set a couple more mink and coon sets and also 3 more rat set. I believe the animals will move better tonight ... the barometer is rising and storm moving in ... the temps should also be 8 to 10 degrees warmer.

I was a bit disappointed in the primeness of the rats ... they varied from blue to prime, but more were unprime than prime. Rain forecast for the next 5 days .... so not anticipating on setting any canine sets until it stops.

SHouldn't even be out there the way I have been feeling and still running a fever .... but figured we all have to die sometime and from something and I at least want to die happy ...:wink::eek:oooh::eek:oooh::cool2: Garry-

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Shouldn't be long before they all prime. I think cold rain helps as much as anything. I wanna catch some cats when it gets cold.Good luck, tonite sounds like the nite they'll walk.

3. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Sounds like a good start to the season. Bout time for another report!!!!:wink:

Our season opens next Wednesday! I'm chompin' at the bit!!!!!

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Not a bad day of trapping! Congrats brother

5. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good start to the season Garry!:smile2: I was not going to set anything yet because of how busy I am working, but two days before season opener and the fever hit!LOL I have not got to many sets out yet but so far its been good, [6] coyote [2] gray fox [3] possum [3] coon and [1] turkey vulcher...he must of been picking around my coon set, released him no worse for ware with a sore leg.LOL That was a first for me. Good luck to everyone!

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Good luck guys , its going to get colder and the fur will get better

7. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Season here in Iowa started 11/1
    I haven't trapped in years and all my old trapping ground is taken so I just set around home.
    I set a bunch of snares. I make my own.
    Anyway current count is 23 coon 4 possum and 2 rats.

Prices are in the toilet.
    My best fully prime XXXL coon sold for $10.00 :(

Best of luck 2ya
    just

8. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    got 12.00 for my prime XL coon and 8.00 for a L prime coon

9. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Ah man did you have to tell me that:sad2:
    I thought I was probably gettin screwed.
    Well nothin I can do about it now.

have a good one
    just

10. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    eh weve got a pretty good fur dealer hear, he offers perty fair prices

11. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    I enjoy keeping up with you guys I have not traped in 50 years but used to do it to make ends meet, What will a xlarge boar mink bring these days? When I traped you could not sell green hides. All had to be streched. Back then coon sold for good money.

12. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Up to date .... Well this year hasn't been a great year at all for trapping and a few other things .... After being sick the first week on the line I have now caught 26 rats, 9 coon and 1 possum .... I slipped and fell today re-hurting my back and can hardly walk at all this evening ... I would like to skip running traps tomorrow, but the law says every 24 hours ... so off I will go ... somehow in the morning, but maybe not quite so early.

Every time I make a mink set ... I catch a coon .... I made 5 new sets yesterday and had all of them knocked off with no coon only a possum toe.

Guess I need to go to bed and put some heat on my back so I can get out of bed in the morning ...... It is snowing here at 8:45 PM .... so should have a little animal movement tonight ........ Good Luck to all ... Garry-