Report from Badin 8-21/8-22

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catamount311, Aug 24, 2009.

1. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Went to Badin this weekend and fished from my dock. Friday night we caught 4 channels that all looked the exact same. We were catching them on live bream. They were all around 27 inches and don't know how much they weighed because I don't have a scale. We fished from around 7:00 til 2:30. Saturday around dusk we went on a cruise and i took my cast net along with me. There were so many schools of shad breaking the top it wasn't even funny. I caught around 30 and put them on ice, and tried to keep 5 alive in a bucket with no aeroation, as you can imagine that didn't work to well so they went on ice as well. While i was nettin the shad i ended up nettin a 6-7 lb carp in my net on accident. That was pretty crazy. Didn't have much luck catchin saturday night with all my fresh bait, I think it may of been the storm that came through around 6:00.

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Patrick thanks for the report ,I can,t wait for the gathering there at badin the !st weekend in oct ,.we have fished badin 1 time ,but now after readind reports on here i think we might have better luck in oct ,an maybe get some of those larger blues ,i keep hearing about :wink:

3. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I might be down there for the Oct 2-4 gathering. I would love to get some knowledge from some veterans of the craft. I've only been hunting the big ones for a month now. Still trying to get all my gear setup. Can you catch the big ones off a dock or do i need to head out to some deeper water. I had my electronics on this weekend while i was puttin around havin beers looking for some drop offs and ledges. Is this what i need for the big ones or is off the dock good?

4. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I fished friday night, was real slow. bait was real easy. went back out about 1pm saturday and channel cats were hungry stayed busy till the rain came about 4:30pm biggest 12 lbs I had a triple pull down. I landed 2 the other had got off before I got to it. drifting saturday/anchored friday.

5. powerwagon

powerwagon New Member

State:
    north carolina
    we went out saturday to the tresle and only got 1 chanel about 2lbs.And as always found some ones jug out in the middle of the lake with a cat on it:angry: looked like it was on all night, the hook went out its eye and the in to its back...nise 31" chanel so he went to the freezer. NO name or addres on the jug as always:sad2: this shit needs to stop.

6. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    What size hook do you use to fish shad. I got some 5/0 circles i've been using but the hook looked bigger than the bait. Also i was catching fish that i've never seen before in my cast net friday night, then saturday night i caught a much bigger one on a shad. Looked like a cross between at crappie and a bream. Brownish in color. They were very hearty and fished them for a while with no success, but they stayed alive til i took them off the hook and threw them back.

7. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC. Thanks for the post an the great report!

8. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I use 6/0 or 9/0 depending on bait, my rods have about half and half. if you can see plenty of hook...thats good. not sure about odd fish. I would have to see it.

9. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Upon further review I believe they were white perch. If i catch more of them what should i do with them...are they considered game fish like bream or can i net them? They didn't seem to take a liking to them live, should i cut them up next time?

10. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i live in nc and white perch cannot be caught with a net they make great bait if you use cut bait bob bait

11. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    they are great bait live or cut. and are easily caught with a bait rod set up like sabiki or just a hook with bait. they are useally in schools. if you fish with them live clip off most the tail so they arnt so fiesty.

12. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Am I going to be able to catch a big cat off my dock or am i spinning my wheels. I have a pontoon I can take out, but I like fishing from my dock? Any suggestions.