Report 4/19 to 4/22 - Blue Catfish and Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Chris55, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Chris55

Chris55 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Got to Canel Lake Sunday evening and got bait and started fishing from the bank down from the bridge.Had no luck,so we packed up and went back to motel room and set up there.Within 15 minutes we had our first fish on.Then after that,wow the bite was on then.The first night we caught 11,10 good size blues and 1 flathead.All these fish were caught on river herring,cut into small pieces,about 1" wide.
    The 2nd night was the same,the bite was on after 12.midnight.Never a dull moment ,until I released 1 40# by mistake.Yep,I was taking stringer outta water to go clean em and had that bigfish on the same poleholder,and didn't see it and pulled up the other 1 and dang did that fish take off so easy.Yep I caught it from my partner Penn Slammer,since he had caught it.lol.This was a trip to always remember for us.I would also like to send out a shout to Ray and the fine folks at Canel Lake for making our trip so enjoyable. Hope to make it back in May for Slammers b'day.We usually have a boat but this time we didn't but geee we didn't need 1 the way the fish was biting for us from the bank.Awesome trip for the 3 of us.Come home with fish ,thats what matters.:smile2:

Attached Files:

2. The Penn Slammer

The Penn Slammer New Member

State:
    Princeton, West
    Here is some more pictures of the trip and our setup.I hope to be back soon in the boat and tropy fish some. I was surprised at the amount of fish we caught from the bank but I guess we just caught it at the right time. I also want to say Ray is making the stay at Canal Lakes a more pleasurable experience than ever before.If anyone wants to catch fish right now they are right above the bridge on the Canal Lakes side but you need a 5ounce no roll sinker to fish from the bank.The freezer is full so now I can fish for trophys and for fun this summer.We did get our feelings hurt twice Tuesday night by a couple of monster fish that snapped our line, we caught 4 fish over 40 pounds but the line breakers we in another class of fish.Good luck to all in your ventures.

Attached Files:

3. The Penn Slammer

State:
    Princeton, West
    Some more pictures.

Attached Files:

4. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Thats an awesome trip. I know alot of people who taken guides on Santee and never even came close to that. Good job!:0a18:

5. Fishin Chick69

Fishin Chick69 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Had a blast! Don't think I did bad for my 1st trip to santee.. Can't wait till May, I know there is a 60 pounder with my name on it.. LOL.. :smile2:

6. Chris55

Chris55 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Now Fishin_Chick69,As I was tellin you before,one must pay their dues before they can catch that bigboy.Yes, you did great for your first trip,but wait things get even better in May.:smile2:

7. The Penn Slammer

State:
    Princeton, West
    I think I can give her some special line to keep her under control. Dont want the big ones to hurt her.:smile2:

8. Fishin Chick69

State:
    West Virginia
    You need to give me special line so I don't out-fish you guys.. Really sucks getting beat by a fishin Chick.. lol.. can't wait for the next trip.:tounge_out:

9. The Penn Slammer

State:
    Princeton, West
    Just dont want a rookie to get hurt.

10. Fishin Chick69

State:
    West Virginia
    not a rookie, proofs in the puddin, and we know that everybody likes puddin..:roll_eyes:

Attached Files:

11. The Penn Slammer

State:
    Princeton, West
    You cant be holding my smallmouth bass anymore.:smile2:

12. Fishin Chick69

State:
    West Virginia
    your bass????? dont' start lying now.... :haha:

13. The Penn Slammer

State:
    Princeton, West
    I guess I need a new fishing partner so if anyone out there is available let me know.

14. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Hey, you guys, had a great trip; glad it turned out to be productive. Hurry back and visit with us again down here. Thanks for the report, all. Welcome! :smile2:

15. Chris55

Chris55 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    What you looking for another partner,yeah right.Tell another one real quick before that one freezes.I happen to know better and the real reasons why.:big_smile: You sure haven't went :crazy: yet anyway.

16. Fishin Chick69

State:
    West Virginia
    lol.. you tell em' chris.......

17. The Penn Slammer

State:
    Princeton, West
    Comming back real soon. I actually asked a game warden if he knew you there at Canal Lakes on the 22nd but he said no.They were working on the no wake markers in a boat with a crane.Hope to meet you sometime I think you are the most helpful person on here. Thanks for all the info.

Attached Files:

18. boedict

boedict New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Who are you fishing with I do a lot of fishing in santee and the river

19. Fishin Chick69

State:
    West Virginia
    I fish with The Penn Slammer.. planning another trip end of May 1st week of june.. can't wait.........

20. Chris55

Chris55 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    :confused2: Oh gosh Fishin_Chick,I sure hope that I am included in that trip now.Now you darn well know Penn Slammer needs someone to keep him in line.And besides,you need me to net that big 60#,while he run the camera,correct:smile2: