Replenishing dull finish on gel coat

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by jpw, Mar 26, 2007.

1. jpw

jpw New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to renew the dull oxidation/fading on my gelcoat, I have a 96 Nitro and the top is blue metalflake and it needs to shine again..lol..(if possible) I have tried using a buffer and rubbing compound. It worked somewhat. Has anyone ever heard of a product called Vertglass? Any input or help would be great!
    Thanks for your help in advance.
    James

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I"d like to know too. I've got a Boston Whaler that is really dull. It just needs a little "Bling".

3. charliealley

charliealley New Member

State:
    TX
    Me too, same problem

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I have a 96 model 18ft Dyna Trak Bass boat by Ebb Tide.. it still looks new... Dad gave it to me bout three years ago... He kept it under an installed carport but he waxed it at least once a year with NuFinish... I don't have a car port but I keep it covered and do the same wax job on it once a year. It still looks great. The NuFinish really gives the boat a slick feel and protects well and really makes her shine.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You'll have to polish it in steps using a high speed buffer. Be careful though, if you leave a high speed buffer in one place too long it'll remove gelcoat.
    This is a good kit that includes the buffer. http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...uct.do?pid=4138&familyName=Boat+Polishing+Kit

First mistake people make on a boat is waxing it. Wax attracts dirt. Water is full of....dirt and scum that become embedded in the wax. Example, that nasty looking scum line that is a pain in the ass to wash off.
    Boats get polished.
    Wax is to protect car paint. Gelcoat isn't paint. Wax don't do a thing for it other then make water bead.

The biggest key is in the previous post. A carport. At the minimum a QUALITY cover but preferably a roof. Just about every problem I deal with on a boat whether it's floor rot , transom, or locked up steering can be directly caused or contributed to leaving boats stored outside, not by using the boat and wearing it out.

6. T_Man

T_Man New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Bar Keepers Friend