Replacing transom

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by George walker, Jul 5, 2006.

1. George walker

George walker New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I picked up a 16' aluminum Landau, the transom neeeds to be replaced, instead of using wood,I thought about using aluminum square tubing. Has anyone had any done it before.

2. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt New Member

State:
    mississippi
    I've got the same problem. I guess I'm just going to grind off the rivets, trace out the wood, put the piece back and rivet on the hardware again. I've never done any riveting but it can't be too hard with the right stuff I suppose. Good Luck to both of us lol.

3. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I wish I had some advice but I can't help you there. That sounds like a quite a challange. I've always wondered what it would be like. Good luck with your project.

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I need to replace the(wood) transom on my ten footer every few years on account of it being stored outside. I use stainless steel bolts sealed with RTV gasket maker.

I don't think that I am real clear on the intention with the tubing.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    the simplest way to replace it is to get a piece of white oak to replace it with.
    White oak is rot resistant as well as strong.
    A simple few coats of epoxy would make it last forever.

As far as your stainless bolts. Anytime you cut the oxygen off of stainless it will corrode like any other steel.
    Stainless requires air around it to be what it is.
    I would use stainless myself, I just wouldnt go crazy with the caulking gun.
    Just a bit under the flat washer will prevent any leakage.

6. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    That is how I do it.
    The only problem that I have had with stainless is the one I bought, to afix a cleat, at a small hardware store ( I ran one short, the night before a trip) it must have been low quality, began to rust the same week.
    I have five handles, the transom, two cleats and the oar locks attached with them.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

George even though I haven't done what you are talking about one thing I would consider is the fact that a 2 stroke viberates alot. With that in mind it might be that the wood was used to absorbe some of the viberation. The all alum. would eventually cracki. Just a thought here.

8. George walker

George walker New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the advise, I'm going to go with the white oak and stainless.