Replacing the clicker on a Penn 500

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by dex, Aug 16, 2006.

1. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I just received a 500 jigmaster from a fishing buddy, but the clicker is need of replacing. I was wanting to know how to take the clicker out to replace it?

2. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I don't know about the 500 but on the 209, the bait clicker is not removeable.

Robert

3. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the reply,and good luck on the water.

4. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    dex, you will have to take pity on and be patient with this old man. These electronic gadgets can sometimes give me a problem.

First of all, I have never had the guts to pry hard enough to get a Penn Clicker apart. I say apart because the clickers show on the reel schematics as 4 separate pieces.

1) a bronze circular ring spring (Item 62 - Click spring)
    2) a retaining screw for the spring (Item 63 - Click spring screw)
    3) the clicker button on the outside of the side-plate (Item 36 - Clicker button)
    4) The arrow head shaped part that is attached to the clicker button shaft and is located inside the side plate (Item 35 - click tongue)

Since they show them as separate I think they can be taken apart, just don't know how.

So I have attached small sections of the reel schematic and parts list for a Penn jigmaster 500. You can get full copies of both at

http://www.scottsbt.com/catalog/store/500-Schematic-Parts-List-P55390C5900.aspx

which is the actual page on the Scott's Bait and Tackle web site for the jigmaster 500. I have found the folks at Scott's to be extremely friendly and helpful in the past. You can buy whatever parts you need from them.

I guess what I am suggesting to you is look over the schematic and parts list to become familiar with the parts and then call Scott's and ask them how to replace the clicker. Their phone number is at the bottom of the page I gave you the address for above.

If I was a really nice guy I could go to the shop and attempt to disassemble my 500 jigmaster. Sorry, I just ain't that nice a guy:embarassed:

Let me know if I can help you.

Attached Files:

5. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I called Scott's and the reply was with the old stlye or maroon side plates a person would have to grind the old one off. Thanks for the info.

6. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Hey Corn do you know anything about the Peen 940?

7. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    All I know is what I can see from the schematic.

It has broken away from the traditional Penn gear assembly with the gears tucked up under a brass side plate. It looks more like garcia and other reels. It looks like they have continued the separate post and side plate frame assembly as the old Penn.

Why do you ask? If you have a more specific question we might be able to find an answer.