Replacing or Upgrading Drag Washers For Ambassadeur Reels

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by Whistler, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    John Tokie(ABU) has created another great tutorial for modifying the ABU Garcia Ambassdeur reels. This article shows how to upgrade the drag system to a much better, smoother working system. If you would like to make comments for John, please do it here. The library is for reading only, unless you have a contribution to make. And we very much encourage your contributions to that area. Here is the link to his newest article for reel repair and upgrade. Click here

If you like his work, you can leave positive reputation for him to show your appreciation as well. Thanks John for sharing your expertise with the members of the BOC.

2. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Great post, ain't afraid to do myself now, I won't have to stumble through the first time on my own, Thanks.

3. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    Thanks so much for taking the time for the photos and accurate description of drag upgrades. I printed it and have it on my work bench for all future work. Smoothie Drag should sponsor you!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks again for your work. Hannibal Mike

4. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Are there differences in the 5000 shown and old style 6500's? I attempted to do this on an old style reel and mine came apart nothing like the diagrams and wound up braking some plastic piece underneath the spool brake knob. I about threw everything in the garbage can when somehow everything fell back together mysteriously but now I still have this one piece broken. It seems like a complete different reel than the one show here, washers, order, everything.

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I installed those Smooth drag washers on my 7000's a couple of years back and they do make a big difference. Line always comes out under steady tension, no jerky stops and starts anymore. Like the name implies smooth. I do have a question about that grease on the washers though, I was always told to keep them free of oil and grease,use them dry. Whats the purpose here? Does'nt that just make them less effective? It just seems to me that grease would make them slippery.

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Dave I've taken apart several different models of abu's. It seems to me they build any number of configurations under the same model reel and put in an expanded parts view for the basic model. Then its up to you to figure out whats new. You can take apart 3 6500's and each will be different inside. Then if you go to another series like 5000 or 7000 they are even more alien. So I know what your talking about. I know they are all basically the same but every new one has some new little tweak over the previous ones. The first two 7000's I bought had more parts on them than the parts sheet had that came in the boxes with them, ???? Sorry I can't help but I wanted you to know you aint alone.

7. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    Hi s man. I believe the grease smooths them out even more. A very light coating is all that should be used, just enough so you can see your fingerprint in the washers. I usually put too much on and rub it in the washers and then clean off all the excess. If there are any imperfections in the washers the drag grease will fill the inconsistencies and allow for an even smoother drag and also repel water instead of absorbing it. Make sure to use the drag grease on your reel gears and if there is any contamination to your drag system it will be from the drag grease instead of the nasty old oil alot of fishermen use on their gears. I have had great luck with Cal's grease and it doesn't seem to hurt the drag friction, the Carbontex Smoothies with a very small amount of grease applied still have a good bit more power than the original Ambassadeur drag washers and I believe they will last longer with the grease than without it. On a very hard run while a big blue or flat is stripping drag out very fast the greased washers will not generate the heat of straight, ungreased washers. Abu

8. troller

troller New Member

State:
    Georgia
    where do you get the Smooth drag washers?

9. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Troller, heres is the smoooth drag website:

www.smoothdrag.com

10. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    You article was so complete and clear I will not be afraid to try this with a few of my reels this winter. Thank you very much! Great work!