Replacing or Upgrading Drag Washers For Ambassadeur Reels

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Abu, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    Replacing or Upgrading Drag Washers

For Ambassadeur Reels

You may use original Ambassadeur drag washers but I would recommend the new Carbontex washers from Smooth Drag. The original drag systems in most Ambassadeurs are a weak point. The new drag washers I installed in this beatup 5000-C are Xtreme Smoothies I had left over from a 6500-C3 Carbontex drag washer upgrade.
    Photo below is of the Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5000-C I upgraded.

[​IMG]

Completely loosen the 3 flathead screws along the outer edge of the side plate. The screws will not fall out, they will stay attached to the side plate.
    [​IMG]

Remove the side plate from your reel.
    [​IMG]

Sit your reel aside. The drag is located inside the side plate you removed and you will only be working with the side plate.
    [​IMG]

Unscrew the plastic cover and remove it from the reel handle. This is a 5000-C model Ambassadeur, many other Ambassadeurs will have a c-clip which must be removed to remove the crank handle. The newer 6000 and 6500 Ambassadeurs will not have the flathead screw in the middle of the brass nut like you see in this photo, they will have the c-clip instead of the screw. You would remove the brass nut and then remove the c-clip for the 6000 and 6500 reels.
    [​IMG]

Remove the nut from the side plate and your crank handle and silver handle tensioner can be removed.
    [​IMG]

Remove the star drag adjuster.
    [​IMG]

Remove the 2 screws from the side plate as shown.
    [​IMG]

Remove the side plate and sit it aside.
    [​IMG]

Remove the flathead screw that holds your drag assembly.
    [​IMG]

Remove the drag system in one piece as shown.
    [​IMG]

Page 2 in the following post

2. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio

For Ambassadeur Reels

Now you can disassemble the drag ststem. Parts shown below are not in perfect order but we will get to that later during reassembly.
    [​IMG]

I use a toothbrush and acetone to cleanup the gears. If the main gear is all black and full of junk from your old drag washers I smooth it out with 0000 steel wool. Make sure to clean it thoroughly after the steel wool so no tiny pieces of it are in your drag.
    [​IMG]

This is the new drag I am putting in. You can install them dry but I prefer to use Cal's grease. Never use oil in your drag system. If using the grease I put a good amount on the top and bottom of the drag washers and work it into the washers. I then remove all the grease until there is only a fine coating, just enough to leave a fingerprint. I also use the same grease on the gears.
    [​IMG]

Time for reassembly. The main drive shaft is the first part that fits back on.
    [​IMG]

Next is a drag washer as shown.
    [​IMG]

Next is your main gear with drag grease applied to the teeth.
    [​IMG]

Next is a drag washer.
    [​IMG]

Next comes the metal washer. Make sure all of your metal washers are nice and smooth on both sides. If they feel rough or show signs of wear they are cheap to replace with original ones or smoother aftermarket ones.
    [​IMG]

Next is another drag washer.
    [​IMG]

Next is a metal drag washer with the ears on it.
    [​IMG]

Next is another drag washer.
    [​IMG]

Next comes the top metal washer as shown below.

Page 3 in the following post

3. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio

For Ambassadeur Reels

Next comes the top metal washer as shown below.
    [​IMG]

Next is your drag spring washer.
    [​IMG]

Next is your second drag spring washer positioned the opposite as your first.
    [​IMG]

Next is the plastic bushing.
    [​IMG]

Next is a thin copper washer.
    [​IMG]

Replace the flathead screw you removed earlier to fasten your drag system together.
    [​IMG]

Align and sit the side plate on top of the other plate. When lined up it should fit perfect with no pressure needed.
    [​IMG]

Put the two screws back in the side plate and tighten them down. Now put your star drag adjuster on.
    [​IMG]

Now the silver handle tensioner slides on.
    [​IMG]

Sit your crank handle over the silver handle tensioner.
    [​IMG]

Tigten the brass nut over the top of the crank handle. Pay attention to the nuts position. Once you have it tightened you want one of the points of the nut aimed at the screw hole for the plastic cover and it will be in the correct position for the plastic cover to fit correctly the first time.
    [​IMG]

Page 4 in the following post

4. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio

For Ambassadeur Reels

Replace the plastic cover over the handle and tighten the screw down.
    [​IMG]

Now get your reel you had set aside earlier and make sure your 2 little brake blocks (white in this reel) are slid all the way in and position the side plate over the reel.
    [​IMG]

The side plate should not have to be forced on when lined up straight. Tighten the 3 flathead screws on the outer edge of the side plate.
    [​IMG]

You are done and have a nice and smooth new drag system.

[​IMG]

John Tokie

ABU