Replacing Oil in Lower Unit

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by SeedTick, Mar 31, 2006.

1. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Bobpaul & Bubbkat,

I've just gotten a new to me 25hp Nissan and I was wondering what your preferences were for lower gear case oil and 2 cycle engine oil. I seem to remember reading where ya'll said not to mix brands in one or the other, I think it was the lower unit. What about synthetics?

Thank you men for the service you provide to the Brotherhood.

ST

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    If you can afford the synthetic oils for both lower unit and the engine, it would be my prefference.

As far as the lower unit goes, you can't go wrong with walmart's brand, Lubrimatic. Get a quart bottle and the pump to fit it, to make the job easier.

Synthetic oils for mixing with the gas are eaier to come by. Choose a name brand and stick with it.

Buy a mixing bottle for when you want to top off the tank with an odd number of gallons of gas. Those mixing bottles take the math worry out of figuring how much oil to add to something like 2.5 gallons. Always save room for the oil when you top off the tank.

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I wont use nothing but synthetic gear case lube. And the 2 stroke oil , just make sure it's TCW3.

4. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Thanks for such a quick response gentlemen. Tom, where do you get your synthetic oil?

ST

5. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I forgot,,,,,,,Hey Bobpaul what about mixing brands? Did I just dream that up? I do have sometimers ya know. hehe

ST

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    There's not much chance of mixing oils in the lower unit, as it's drained and new oil added.

I've seen a sludge/jell build up in oil tanks for the oil injected engines. Not sure exactly why, but some have said it's because of brand mixture. Cheap oils with quality oils.

I try not to mix.

7. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Thank you so very much sir. I'm off to Wallyworld to see what they got.

:0a31: ​

ST​

8. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I figure this is the smallest expense that may save my life or at least let me fish out the rest of it. Synthetics are proving themselves and in my opinion a great choice. Motors are not cheap and using the best in them will only get expensive if you live to be 150 and fish everyday. Think about how long a quart of 2-stroke oil goes and the cost per hours of use.