replacing line on a closedface spinning reel

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by pk_powell, Jan 21, 2006.

1. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello guys and gals!:)
    I'v never posted before,mostly I just like to read what ya all have to say about fishing,I enjoy that the most.Anyway I need some info if anyone can tell me how to go about replacing the line on a tiger closed face spinning reel. It's a big reel and I can't seem to figure out how to go about it,so it will smoothly cast out. Thanks abunch!:)

2. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

3. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    PK, I'm gonna start this like you've never done it before. No offense, but I don't know what your experience level is.

Push the button on the reel (while it's on a rod) to put in in free spool and pull the old line off. I do it by hand and switch hands, pulling an arms length off at a time. Let it snarl up on the floor after you get a handfull.

When you reach the end, unscrew the endcap and take a pair of fingernail clippers or a small knife and cut the line off the spool.

Take the new line and feed it through the eyes of the rod, and threw the endcap (which is till unscrewed). Tie itaround the spool using an arbor knot. If you are unsure about how to tie an arbor knot, post again, and I'll help you out.

Holding onto the line, turn the handle a few times to get the line started. Screw on the end cap, while keeping tension on the line, and start cranking the handle to fill the spool a little over 3/4's full. It's best to feed the line between a thumb and forefinger to keep the line tight as it's going on.

You can shove a pencil through the new spool and have someone hold it while you crank to make it easier on you, and they can put their thumbs lightly on the sides of the pool to provide the tension. And to make it cast better, here's the biggest thing to watch. The line is wrapped around the new spool going one direction. You want to put it on your reel the same way so the natural curl of the line follows the natural curl of the spool. To change the direction of the curl, just flip the new spool of line over.

I use a L bracket off an old ping pong table (net holder)that I have screwed down to a shelf to hold my new line. A bolt, nut and washers hold it for quick and easy line replacement.
    Rat

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks so much for the info! I'v really struggled with this reel,and you all have helped me a big bunch.Rat,you didn't offend me,I appreciate your input very much.Thanks again to all!:) pk_powell

5. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Welcome aboard pk,
    You will find a lot of help and knowledge here at BOC.Enjoy.

BILL

6. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Thanks Rat!!! Having always used open face spinnings uo until last year, it will help when doing the Girlfriends poles.

Ray