Replacing float packing in a flat bottom?

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by kdanderson5, Jun 10, 2009.

1. kdanderson5

kdanderson5 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    He is a weird question I cannot find an answer to with searching (this is one of the few I could not find an answer for, so good posting guys!).

A couple friends and I recently pulled my dads old boat out of the trees that has been out in the weather for about 8 years unused. We got the trailer back in good shape (new wiring and lights, wheel bearings guides, etc...) but one problem we are running into now is the mice had gotten into the foam float stuff that is under the riveted parts of the boat.

So my question is this, how do I replace that foam (don't really know what it is called) or do we really need to? We were thinking about just shoving a can of filla foam in there and filling it back up, but we are unsure if this will work.

Anyone have any ideas or tips?

2. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    u need to get the two part foam made for floatation purposes .... do a google search for floatation foam or something to that nature and u should find some websites to buy it from ........... i have bought a lot of it online but didn't bookmark any of the sites ............. it is pricey, but the stuff u are talking about won't help u any ..................... u need closed cell foam

3. kdanderson5

kdanderson5 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the reply! What will it do if I wait to put new foam in? Does it help with floatation all together, or does it just help it not sink if the boat flips?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, we are beginners with the boat stuff!

Thanks again!

4. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    it keeps the boat from sinking mostly ............ if the coast guard or a warden checks u and sees the boat is not sea-worthy , u will probably be looking at a fine .............. just get the right foam and re-install following directions and be safe......safe is better than sorry any day of the week ................