Replacing control cables 70 hp evinrude

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by DoubleD, Oct 1, 2009.

1. DoubleD

DoubleD New Member

State:
    MO
    I’m changing out the 479 type control cables on my single shifter 70 hp Evinrude. I’m attempting to remove the cables from the shifter and there is some type of fastener that is securing them that I’m not familiar with :sad2: and don’t know how to remove it :angry:.

Photos attached.

I would appreciate any help.
    Thanks, David

Attached Files:

2. catfish10101

catfish10101 New Member

State:
    Des Allemands,
    After you got the screws out of the end (which it looks like you have), it should slide out from the side, but you may have to turn the piece forward to make room or I think I may have had to remove a plate of some kind when I did mine.

3. DoubleD

DoubleD New Member

State:
    MO
    There's some type of bolt or fastener that's holding the end of the cable to the shifter and I'm not sure how to remove the end of the cable from it. At first it looked like a rivet and I started to drill it out before I realized one side has what looks like threads inside and the other side may be some type of bolt with two flat edges, as seen in the photo. I'm just not sure how to remove this bolt holding the end of the cable.

4. DoubleD

DoubleD New Member

State:
    MO
    Well after an hour or so, better lighting and a magnifying glass, I was able to figure it out. The end of the cable goes through a plastic arm and the tip extends through the end, then there is a short fitting I thought was a fastener, but was actually just a tube that’s threaded on the inside and goes through the end of the plastic arm. Very small set screws are then screwed in the threaded tube from each side to hold the cable in place, too bad I had already started drilling the first one out before I figured it out, now I have to try and find another fitting and two set screws.:sad2: