The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace the bunks on my trailer. They are 2 inches by 6 inches by 8 feet. Can I use a 2x4x8 to replace them? The trailer is a single axle, and the boat is 18.5 ft long about 2500 to 3000 lbs. Any advice would be helpful.

·
Registered
Big Sam Arkansas
5,815 Posts
Me personally I wouldn't change the size of my runners if that's what came from the factory... If you do them yourself you can get treated boards and carpet them... Cost more but last many many years

·
Administrator
10,497 Posts
Big Sam has a good point about the treated wood. But remember treated wood and aluminum don’t go together well. With a good covering of carpet it is fine.

Because of the weight I assume you have a fiberglass boat. So I would spread the weight by keeping the 6 inch width. May not be required but can’t be wrong. Cost difference is minimal.

·
Registered
Aaron......Indiana
33 Posts
I would definitely stay with 2x6 as you lose a lot of strength going down in size. I have heard that you don’t gain much life going with treated over untreated, because it’s going to drip-dry and not stay wet.

·
Registered
497 Posts
When I replaced the bunks on the trailer for my Tracker ProCrappie 175, I “upgraded” from the factory 2x4’s to 2x6’s.

·
Registered
892 Posts
As was said the cost is minimal between a 2x4 and a 2x6. I wouldn't sacrifice the strength integrity going down. I would stay with larger board and stay with confidence.

·
Administrator
10,497 Posts
Yes, you can add what they call slicks to your bunks with several options.

The typical bunk slick is just a piece of thick plastic that is attached to the bunk. Usually by two or more stainless steel screws that are countersunk into the slick. The slicks can be attached to a carpeted bunk or to a wooded bunk without any carpet. The 2x4 or 2x6 provides the support and the plastic slick is actually wet the boat slides on and off the trailer on.

When using slicks or plastic runners on the bunks it is very important to keep the winch strap securing the boat attached until the boat is in the water. The boat will slide very easily and without the straps the boat can slide off the trailer unexpectedly. It also needs to be securely strapped to the trailer when transporting so it will not slide forward when brakes are applied.

There are several manufacturers of these so if interested, do your research to determine what is best for you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all, I am going with 6" wide as you all have advised. Thank you for the good information.

·
Horse-MON
21,271 Posts
I'm not a fan of carpet, we have muddy water and lots of sand.
No matter what kind of bunk you use, it's a good idea to tie the front of the boat down as I don't trust anything man made like the rachet tied down. LOL

·
Registered
94 Posts
I used trek decking over top my pressure treated wood bunks rather than carpet. I got the trek for free, there are actual plastic coverings for bunks. The trek works well though lot slicker than carpet, my boat doesn't freeze down to the trailer in the winter. Which for me was a pain with carpet I'd have to have the boat sitting in the water on the trailer for a few minutes to thaw and get it unstuck from the bunks when launching in the winter. You can use pressure treated if you cover the bunks with trek or one of the plastic bunk cover kits. I'm not sure I'd use pressure treated with carpet if the boat is aluminum.

·
Administrator
10,497 Posts
It all comes down to the maintenance. If you use treated wood bunks covered with carpet, you are fine as long as the carpet is covering well. At the first exposure to treated wood, DO MAINTENANCE. Some may prefer just regular wood and plastic sliders on any bunks are nice. If using plastic sliders on bunks make sure boat is well secured to trailer when traveling or just having trailer on a hill. Some boats have been dumped on a ramp. because boats were unhooked too soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am going to replace the bunks on my trailer. They are 2 inches by 6 inches by 8 feet. Can I use a 2x4x8 to replace them? The trailer is a single axle, and the boat is 18.5 ft long about 2500 to 3000 lbs. Any advice would be helpful.
Use the original size, pressure treated and marine grade carpet. Be careful of slicks!! Saw a new $60k bass boat slide right off the bunks onto a concrete ramp first time out! That will ruin your day. Bunks are pretty straight forward replacement. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts