Replacing bearings quesion?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by smhmc6, Mar 3, 2009.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'm replacing my bearings and I have a question. I know how to pack them with grease and all that, but do you guys fill the hub back up with grease? When I took the hub off, it was pretty full of grease. It didn't have bearing buddies on it, but I went ahead and bought some so I can just use the grease gun to inject grease in there from time to time. My question is though, can I fill the hub with grease by just packing the bearings, tightening the castle nut back down, putting the bearing buddies on instead of the cap and use the grease gun to fill the hub? Or do I have to put a bunch of grease in the hub with my fingers first? I would imagine that not a lot of grease would get through the washer and castle nut if I used just the bearing buddies. I don't know if any of that made sense, but hopefully someone can help. Thanks

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Very good question. I always figurred that if I packed it full of grease, water couldn't get in. lOL I'm sure it don't really work that way, but I would rather go an extra mile and have the lubrication. I also use buddy bearings, and if I remember right, your to add grease until the seals start to expand. To me, that means the hubs full of grease.

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    "I would imagine that not a lot of grease would get through the washer and castle nut if I used just the bearing buddies." would kinda of defete the purpose of the system wouldn't it?

I would guess that about the only thing your gonna save by going ahead and stuffing them first, is getting less air out of your way by doing so, if ya leave them "empty" your just going to have a lot of extra air to move with the grease using the buddies...... personally I fill my by hand then use the buddies. Can't really see what it would hurt other than above, pumping air out the way....

4. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the advise, I guess I might as well just put it all in by hand.