Replacement Strainer for your Portable Bait Tank

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Shimano, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Replacement Strainer for your Portable Bait Tank

Here is a cheap and easy way to make a replacement strainer for your portable bait tank.

If some other folks on here are like me they have probably placed the strainer for there bait tank on the side of the boat after washing it out and lost it or maybe they have broken it. If so here is a cheap and easy replacement strainer that will work in a Super Bait Tanks or an EZ-Flow Bait Tank and maybe others.

First you will need to go to Wal-Mart and buy an 8 cup capacity cereal dispenser for $3.34. The go to Lowes or your local hardware and get a 1" sch40 pvc adapter for $0.53

[​IMG]

The first step is to cut off the bottom of the cereal dispenser about three inches up from the bottom.

[​IMG]

The next step is to make a hole in the bottom using a drill bit. I started the hole with a 3/4" bit.

[​IMG]

Then use a pocket knife or other cutting tool to trim the edges until the 1" pvc fitting will thread into the hole. Be sure to cut a little at a time so you dont make it to big.

[​IMG]

Then start the fitting into the hole and screw it all the way in making it fit tightly.

[​IMG]

Then your strainer should look like this.

[​IMG]

Next you will need to drill the box full of holes. I used two different sized drill bits on mine. 1/8" and 3/32".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then you will have to clean the excess plastic from the holes and your finished product should look like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now you are ready to insert it into the filter box in your bait tank.

[​IMG]

Now go fishing and enjoy your new $4.00 bait tank strainer. I like to use some polyfill in the strainer box to help catch the shad scales.​