Repairing mount for ladder on boat

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by wpsatisfide, Mar 2, 2006.

1. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Rear of my boat i have a ladder for skiers. I like to wakeboard and ski so I will probably be using it. There is one connection at top with 2 bolts and then 2 more at bottom. The top one has pulled through the transom just a little. What would be the best way to fix this?

Im thinking ill make some kind of metal plate to distribute the weight over a broader surface but not sure what to use to repair the loose part/hole. git-rot? epoxy?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Wow, this post must have got lost to be here this long and no answer. I'll try to answer it though depending upon if my visulation of the problem is correct. If the bolts are coming loose, you need to see if you have access to the nut from the backside of the bolt. Lots of time they have sprayed foam over the hardware. If so, cut the foam away in that area and clean it to the back side of the fiberglass, as much as you can. remove the nut and install a backing plate or large washer...plate would be better, but go with what you have. Put the nut on the threads and start to tighten...get it about 1/2 way tight and then seal the outside area with silicone. Tighten the nut all the way. After the silicone has cured, cut off the excess. This should give you a watertight repair.