Repairing gelcoat

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by Mid-MO fisherman, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Mid-MO fisherman

Mid-MO fisherman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Mo
    My '84 Champion bass boat's finish is heavily oxidized. I tried a product from Meguires that is supposed to help repair the oxidized gelcoat. I spent the afternoon rubbing the boat down and it seemed to help a little. You can still easily tell where the damage was. I was just curious if anyone had any experience with this sort of thing. I suppose that it looks okay for a boat that is that old but I was wondering if there was anything else I could do to repair damage this deep. Has anyone ever tried wet-sanding with a very fine grit sandpaper? If so were the result worth the effort? Any opinions or knowledge on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yes I have a 1974 I redone a few years ago. It was oxidized real bad and I wet sanded with 800 grit and then 11 then 12 and rubbed it down with 6 ought steel wool and sprayed some clear urethane on it and it shined real well.
    You have to keep them polished real often to keep the shinny and I ain't that energetic.

3. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I've got a 90 model ProCraft and it was real bad when I bought it. I used a buffer and some fine grit polishing compound then waxed it. Didn't last all that long. Now I wipe it down with a mixture of 50/50 vinegar and water and then spray wd40 on a soft cloth and wipe down the inside and top. Sides don't usually need it. It lasts about 5-6 weeks. Doesn't usually take over 20 minutes to do the whole boat.

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Pop that is a old used car trick, trans fluid works also lol
    I sprayed my boat with auto clear coat 2 years ago it still shines

5. Mid-MO fisherman

Mid-MO fisherman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Mo
    I just might work up the nerve to do that this winter when work is slow. Seems like once you've started sanding on it your pretty well committed to finish no matter what the outcome is. The gelcoat on this boat is kinda fancy with the metal flakes in it. I wonder how sanding would affect it. Of course it couldnt make it look much worse. I'll try and get some good pictures of it posted and get your opinion of weather or not to try it. My father-in-law has a spray gun and a nice heated shop that I could do the work in so that would'nt be a problem. I guess the only other thing would be taking the majority of trim and things off of it.

6. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Andy, Wish you the best of luck but I've never seen gel-coat redone with any sucess for a long period of time. Especially with metal flake in it. Had a friend that is a professional auto painter try it with the clear coat route on a 87 model ranger that the sun had gotten too. Looked alright for a year or so before it started to peel. Started to look like it had gotten a bad sunburn. IMHO the outcome was worst in the end. MAybe I didn't take care of it or something and caused the peeling, don't know that ! I would try squirtspop solution and be statisfied if I had it to do over again. The gain was not worth the pain ! Talked to a boat rebuilder here in N.C. up near Charlotte and the price to redo the boat was more than the hull was worth. Good luck and be sure to let us know the outcome. MAybe you will hit on something that works.

7. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    my wife go some marine clean and wax by 3-m from walmart. i had previously cleaned with clr and waxed with auto wax didn't help. i wouldn't tru her stuff snd she tried it on a little spot. it helped a lot. its a lot of work and i'm going to get a buffing pad for a drill before i go on but i would recomend trying it.mine was on a87 vip and looked pretty bad also.lots of luck. boliver

8. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Exactly how i seen it done and it looked great! All of the oxidation was on the top of the boat.