Repairing aluminum hull?

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Hoopie, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ok so sat. night i knocked two BIG holes in my boat. What do you guys suggest on how to repair it? I will try to post pictures as soon as possible, I am getting ready to head out of town for work so it might be a couple days. I will also post a video of the recovery.

2. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    One time I was trailering my Uncle's Lund deep v and the trailer came off the hitch, broke the safty chain and the boat hit a guard rail ripping a gash about two feet long and three or four inches wide right below the water line!!!:angry: I had a guy weld it back up. It was a really ugly scar but it held water.

3. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    my dad bought an aluminum boat a few years ago that had been stored in a barn for five+ years. It looked really nice. After he took it out, the next morning the garage was full of green slime. Mice had been living between the hull and the floorboards and the urine had eaten through the aluminum. It looked fine until he took it out. Luckily the boat had a pump in it to suck the water out. We ended up taking the boat apart, sandblasting it and reskinning the entire front end with aluminum, bending it and cutting it, then riveting(sp?) it on. We put silicone caulking in between the hulls. When we got the front end done, I started noticing pin holes in the back end. The boat got taken to the scrap yard and the trailer, motor, and trolling motor got used to build up a new boat. You can patch up small holes really nice with patches of aluminum riveted on and sealed up, but don't try anything as big as we did:sad2:

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If your gonna do it, do it right. Get it welded.

5. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am welding it it back together and patching it up , hopefully by the weekend I will be fishing again.

6. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio