Repaired Rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by ramon06, Aug 17, 2009.

1. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Do you guys get your Rod's repaired after slamming them in doors, trunks or even when snapping due to a big fish? I just ask because up until April of this year I just trashed Rod's after they snapped all these years thinking they would never be the same. However since moving to Va I found a baitshop that sells Heavy Action Rod's made by a gentleman. They are extremely strong and He claims they are unbreakable, which they seem and he backs them with a lifetime garuntee. The Rod's are $60. After buying one of his Rod's and seeing how strong it was I decided to let him repair a couple of Rod's I had just laying around with broken off tips, a 2-piece 10' Penn MH Rod I slammed in the door and a 2 piece 7' M Southbend Muddville Rod I slammed in the door at home also. When I got them back I thought might as well try it, I have used the Penn Rod extremely hard since the repair. I have caught my PB 32lb Flathead, my PB 62lb Blue and my PB 25lb Channel (all within the past month) as well as many others between 2-10lbs on this Rod since the repair and the Rod doesnt sweat. Im just sharing this with you guys who throw away Rod's after they break. You could save big money by just repairing these rod's instead of trashing and buying new one's. I dont know what people charge in your areas but the guy I go through only charges $12 to repair Rod's, my PB's make it worth the money. I would advise you guys to do a search for your area. Just sharing my finding's with all my BOC brother's.

2. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    thanks for that info ramon. i have never snapped one but have broke some tips. i usually just repair them myself tho. k do know a guy who makes em and he is pretty high dollar. i got 2 quantms with quantm reels and a zebco im gonna put a bait caster on.

3. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Yes you can! Repaired several this year.....the trick is to lay the broken sections down paralell to each other and take a Dremel cutoff wheel and cut through both broken ends on a 45 degree angle, then after installing an I.D. plug wrap over the break and apply rod coat, I'll post the pics on the rod review page on my next fix.:wink:

4. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    ohhh thats why the spot that he fixed is much fatter than the rest of the Rod

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    From a guy that don't believe in using the same artificial worm twice.
    They make new fishing rods every day. Chunk it.
    It'll never be the same rod anyway.

6. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    mark no offense but when ur married to a rod you dont want a new one. sometimes the same thing works. kinda like a happily married couple. love my rods and hate to see them go.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Ok, hang it over the mantle and bow down to it every morning.

It's like a wrecked car.
    The best local body man and frame straightener once told me.
    I can fix about any vehicle if you got the money but it will never be the same vehicle. It's going to have a squeak or tick somewhere somehow that you didn't have before. It'll be a new vehicle just not the new one you had.
    You'll always know it was wrecked.

I've got rod building equipment.
    What I've always done if they have nice eyes on them is strip the eyes off and chop the blank up and glue sand paper to them for reamers:big_smile:
    The memories never leave though of a good rod.

8. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    its been working fine for me, I've caught my biggest 3 Catfish since the repair. I guess cars and rods are different lol

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    depends on the rod and were it broke shure it wont be exact but if it was a slow action rod and just the top couple inches jot broke "in a door":roll_eyes: clean the break add a new tip and maybe some new guide placement and it would be prety close bending from tip to but. a break any were other than RIGHT AT THE TOP and i agree parts rod it be. i just took the eyes off one to use on another rod and used the blank to chuck another rod to the homade lathe:wink: if it has already broke chances are it will break again.

10. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i repaired 2 rods this year one was just a tip the other was almost near the handle the second break was a little tuffer to repair but i got it done, seems to be ok so far , i guess it all depends on where the break is. these two rods were my dads so i kinda want to keep them as long as i can i really don't notice any difference in the action after the repair

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'm basing 99% of what I say on what I know most people catfishing are willing to pay for a rod which aint much in my book considering customs go for less then a 100 and sometimes a buck 50. And we all know the majority we're talking about are fishing with rods 60 dollars or less.
    I'd strip and cut up a 150 dollar rod. Maybe that's just me but economics come into play. 200 dollar rod I might ponder a fix but I wouldn't count on it.

First, I can rewrap it myself but I figure in my time too. When I do that the best option is to fork out another 150 bucks for a new rod. And again I'll know I got a broken 150 dollar rod everytime I pick it up.
    Second paying somebody to fix it. The economics of that get worse.
    Years ago I had a rod/ reel repair/ custom rod gig tied into a tackle shop.
    80% of what came in the door I wouldn't touch. It would cost more in parts and labor then it was worth and I didn't want the wrong reputation hitting the streets. "Man, he screwed you, a new one is only 15 dollars more".
    Used to get Mitchell 300's in that look like they had lived under a house for 20 years and worked as a plumber. Come on now. Let's be realistic. I don't work for baloney sandwiches.
    How much is this piece of crap Mitchell 300 worth to you? 100 bucks?
    about as sensible as repairing a toothpick when you got a box of 200 right there. As a hobby doing it yourself? OK, I'm cool with that.

There is a point, where logic and economics drift too far apart for me and I pull the plug.

And then we can't forget damage we can't see. This is a large part of why I turn those rods into reamers.
    After spending the time or money to repair a broken rod that was no less smashed in a door and not clean cut with a saw do we know what we have?
    No. You don't know what kind of fiber damage was done 3" from the break.
    It's easy to assume but I know I can't crawl up inside a rod blank with a miner's light and inspect it. No way I would guarantee there wasn't any damage other then the break. Then you have me by the nuts and I didn't even slam it in the car door.:smile2: I don't guarantee it but how about paying this bill?

But hey, it boils down to two things. It's your rod and you fish with it. I don't.
    It's all good though.
    An opinion was asked for, I gave mine.

Maybe it's a good rod to learn to wrap on.

12. Cherokee Rod Man

State:
    Eufaula La
    Mark; Very good points indeed, I also had a Tackle/ Custom Rod / Reel Repair shop and totally agree with your plight of ridiculous unrealistic repair jobs that came through the door, most broken rod repairs I effected on graphites were a metal ferrule and ONLY if it were broken at the midpoint or lower. Reels, yeah they wanted e'm resurected to new but the cost well....I suggested they compare a new one? Unless it's sentimental and I was always amazed how many of those were out there! But on the flipside I just repaired a broken 15' 1pc. Lamiglas surf rod, retails for $360.00 so this was practical for sure.:wink:

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Shipping on a 15 foot rod blank is both interesting and expensive.
    What does one of those blanks sell for?

I'm in the market for some new surf rods. I just haven't decidied if I want to build them over the winter or some.
    I can buy what I want cheaper then I can build. Saltwater gear is expensive.

I do know one thing I'm going to do. I'm going to buy an eyeless surf rod. Spend around 200 bucks for one. I know quite a few people that swear by them.

14. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Broken several rods an always tossed them now maybe might just fix them. too expensive buying new ones.

15. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,

True, but in these economic challenging times a rod that is 95% of original at 1/4 the cost of replacement is a good value for me. :wink:

Ray

16. Cherokee Rod Man

State:
    Eufaula La
    The blank alone is around $200.00 plus freight. Is that eyeless one like an innerline? and who makes those? Never heard of this type in a surf model.

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Daiwa has a pretty good selection of guideless rods.
    Daiwa introduced them in 1994 with downrigger rods.

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Whatever works for you is what counts.
    Economics has never got in the way of me replacing a rod. I might have to save for a month.
    It's a matter of where you put your money.

If I want something I can usually make it happen with some adjustment and allowances for it.

For instance, I'm a single income family. My daughter, my step daughter and I just spent 8 days and nights in an ocean front condo at 1,180 bucks. I could throw beer bottles off the deck into the surf if I was that kind of fella.
    We visited numerous attractions which all cost. Ate out 2 nights for a total of 225 bucks. Spent 200 bucks at Walmart on groceries, clothes etc once we got there. and I spent 150 bucks in terminal tackle, bait, and some new sand spikes I've been looking for.
    All total, I spent about 2700 bucks before I got there until after I got home.

I made it happen. It wasn't easy in these economic challenging times.
    I had a month to get it together plus pay my normal bills.

It's a matter of how bad you want it. I was knocking down 60 to 70 hours a week plus commuting an hour each way..:wink:
    Where there is a will, there is a way.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I loathe multiple piece blanks. They available in 9-12 footers?

20. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    u know maybe i will. when it comes to fixing things im pretty resourceful. after all that is what i do for a living. im just sayn number 1 i am not a rich man so i fix what i have. number 2 i feel better that i fixed it myself and it still works. number 3 even with a few squeaks i still works just as good. and like i said b4 no offense. im pretty proud i can fix my own things rather it be a rod or my truck i fixed it not a shop and i dident have to by a new one when the one i got works just fine :big_smile: