repair or replace Zebco 404

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by rmoberly, Sep 10, 2009.

1. rmoberly

rmoberly New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, O
    Guess I am of the old school and it is hard to throw something away. I have pulled these two old 404 reels apart, lubed them, respooled them and they still grab the line on a cast. Using 15lb test on one and 6lb on the other. Am I spooling the line on them wrong? or is a part not in correctly. Everything appears to work smoothly when I work on them.

Should I just pitch them and buy replacement reels? If so, what do you recommend. One setup is for crappie/pan fish and the other is a catfish pole. Looking to put 40lb on it.

Thanks in advance
    Rich

2. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    my advice would be to pitch them and getting a little higher quality reel. im not a big fan of zebco products. (other than quantum)

3. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Pitch and upgrade. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i dont think the 404 will like 40 that much

5. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    An 808 would not like 40lb line on it. For 40lb line you need a good baitcaster. I have 30lb braid on my baitcasters except my big ones they have 50lb on them. The big 808 reels only have 20lb line on them new. 404s are cheap to replace if you need a light reel. My kids in their 20s still use 808s and I still have a few of them. The 202s will start my grandkids out fishing and as they get bigger so will the reels.

6. rmoberly

rmoberly New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, O
    Thanks for all the feed back. I appreciate you guys sharing your knowledge with this new old guy.
    rich

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Sounds like something is up with the line pickup.
    Sticking spring or not fully withdrawing into the hub.
    I have seen pick up pins work their way enough to cause a problem. You might just be able to push it back in some if that is the case.

I would pull the spool cover off and push the button.
    Observe the line pickup. It should fully withdraw from the field of play.

I don't throw reels away. I have a junk reel box. A good source of parts for reels you continue to use or help somebody else down the line that may use that particular reel.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  8. James Bentley

James Bentley New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I like the zebco reels,In the 33 style I have over 40,I use them for Trout,crappie,Blue gills,I have collected these reels for a few years now,I like what Mark said,save them for parts:wink:

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Richard put the original recommended line back on them and give them to a kid. Then you can update to the brand and style of your choice.

10. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    Personally, I'd get something new, but I think I subconsciously enjoy having an excuse to buy new gear. :wink: There seem to be several affordable options for panfish, and the trusty Zebco 33 is very popular. But I think that with catfish, you have to spend a bit more to get something decent.

808's (at least the magnum models) are spooled with 125yds. of 25 lb test, and they seem to be decent reels, but I don't know how well they will respond to 40 lb test, and I don't know if you need a lot of line. They'll set you back about $35.

For a catfishing reel, I recommend an Abu Garcia 6500c3, which is what I, and many others, use. They'll last for years if you take care of them. They're about $95 new online, but you should be able to find them on eBay for $85 new and shipped. I've also seen good used ones go for $50. Roger's Sporting Goods has the 6000b for $50; it's a good solid reel, it's just cheaper because it has bushings instead of bearings. Any Abu Garcia 6000 series will hold 250 yds of 14 lb mono, or about 140 yds of 20 lb mono. If you want to hold more line, or use heavier line, the Penn 209m reels hold 320 yds of 20 lb. They're about $60 new, and I hear they don't cast as well as Abu's, but that's no problem if you're in a boat I guess.

For panfishing, I use a $12 shakespear synergy reel. It's served me well this summer and when it breaks, I will have gotten my money out of it.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  11. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I had a 202 I used many years then it just didn't work right. I got a 222 and it never did work right, I got a 404, and a couple others, they are good for about a week or 2, depending on how much you use em. One just didn't work, the grease got too thick, easy enough to fix. They are ok if ya don't use em much, but not the smoothest of reels and sometimes can't reel in either. Sometimes they work real well, I dont' think they are the most reliable and dependable, but they do work. Get a baitcaster or spinning reel, and have something reliable.

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They are zebcos, throw them away...If you are looking to run 40-lb line I would get a baitcaster...If you cou;d settle for 25-39lb line I would get an abu 5400.

13. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    nothing wrong with zebco brand at all,the 404 was never designed for heavy use and big fish,the #33 classic is a great reel for crappie,bream,etc. type fish with the occasional larger fish not hurting anything, the zebco #1 and # 788 i think will handle line a little heavier up to about 14 or 17 lb. mono,word of caution on spincast reels is that they line soft line not the cheap stiff stuff.

If you are serious into catfishing it would be prudent to invest in a baitcaster style reel or a large capacity spinning reel/rod set up. you do not need to go out and drop 300 bucks on a abu combo/they are over rated anyway,you can start out much lower priced and still get quality equipment for the general fishermen,unless of course your wantin' to take on a catfish tournament run,then you might need to upgrade some.

14. rmoberly

rmoberly New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, O
    Again, I appreciate so much the great input from all of you. Your different opinions are what make this forum such a great source of information.

Thank you again kindly.

I plan to replace one 404 with a spinning reel for crappie and the other one with either a bait caster or spin caster for a cat fish rig.

y'all are the best.
    rich

15. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Sounds like you have good plan,,.
    AS far as getting a baitcaster,, the abu's are hard to beat, as well as Penns, etc.
    I've used some of the Daiwa Millionaire 300 series reels.. they are comparable to an Abu 6500, in size,, and have a bait clicker also, a bit cheaper than the abus, and will handle 20-25 lb line OK. If you're wanting to use 40# Mono, then I'd go ahead and jump up to an Abu 7000, or similar size.. I use 50# mono on the 7000's I have.. Make sure yourRod will handle that!!!!