repair manuals ??

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by Louie, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Louie

Louie New Member

State:
    Lewisburg, PA
    I was wondering if anyone makes repair manuals for reels ( popular ones atleast ) like they do for outboards and such. It's fairly easy to come across busted reels and I think it would be great to bring them back to life.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    There are repair manuals. I have one as thick as a Sears catalogue.
    I have no clue where you can get one now.

As a manual its not going to tell you how to fix a reel. Its gives you cutsheets and part numbers. A reel is a simple thing. You stack parts and give it a whirl. Either it works or it dont.

Mine is updated through around 1990. Covers thousands of reels.
    Most of these cutsheets you can get online now but they arent as clear as the printed versions.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    A thing about busted reels.
    You can find alot of reels on Ebay that need slight repairs or no repair at all for great prices.
    The vast majority of these great deals are for reels that the parts have been discontinued for. Whatever parts are left are ones in reels or someone has tucked back.
    I collect a series of reels of this nature and there are really only 3 parts that will ever fail on the reel. Ironically most of the broken ones you find need these parts. The majority of people selling them know this but wont tell you.
    You can get stuck quick with a bunch reels you cant repair unless you are willing to buy working reels to cannabalize.

I just bought a 2 reel set (well used)for 40 bucks just to get the parts bags attached to the reels. 10 other people were going after the same bag of parts and drove the price up. The reels themselves werent worth more then 5 bucks a piece and are 15-20 years old. Basicly I just spent 40 dollars to get 3 reels working and am left now with 1 more broken one to fix and a questionable second.

Do your research before you take on busted reels.

4. Louie

Louie New Member

State:
    Lewisburg, PA
    Mark thanks for the reply, Do you happen to know the name of the manual you have, I would like to try a search for it.
    Thanks again

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    In the back of fishing magazines there used to be an ad for reel repair and rod building.
    It was called Wild River Distributing. They are located in Marine-on-St. Croix, Mn.
    They had a catalogue for rod building supplies, blanks, and reel parts.
    My manual was put together by them and carries their name.

You can find them online and the owner will reply to his emails promptly.
    My old contact number is Tom at 612-433-2217.
    I emailed them recently about a catalogue and they have gone to wholesale only. You'll need a tax ID number to purchasse from them.
    Going to wholesale only I doubt he still offers the manual.

I bought my book back around '87 and bought updates several times. Its expensive.
    Back then my manual was 85 dollars or so and updates were around 30-40 bucks a year.

I think this manual is pretty unique as it was put together by a parts distributor.

Probally have enough pages to equal the national debt for Penn reels.
    Quantum, Diawa, Ryobi, Shakespeare, Garcia, Ambassaduer,Zebco, probally a few Martin, and several more I know I'm leaving out.

I rarely refer to the manual but it comes in handy when I need it. Its one of those things you dont want to part with.

I've seen CD sets for manuals. I couldnt tell you how good they are or who offers them or how complete they are.
    Several reel parts sites offer most any schematic in PDF for free but my experience with them is that they arent as clear as the hard copy on paper.
    Some of those are often misleading. You see the page there in front of you and when you go to actually order a part off the page thats when you find out parts have been discontinued. Thats why before you buy an older reel at an auction site make sure you can get parts or be willing to buy them up for parts.

Penn reels actually offers a manual and parts list for their reels. I wouldnt want to know the cost.

At this point I'm thinking the oppertunity to fix and sell reels isnt as lucrative as buying and selling discontinued parts. Some of the parts people are getting into this end of the business and instead of paying 3.50 for a level wind paw , they'll sell you one for 12.95 and often its used.