Rep-u-ta-tion Points

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mac-b, May 3, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Reputation can be described as: (1) overall quality or character as seen or judged by people in general, recognition by other people of some characteristic or ability < has the reputation of being clever > (2) a place in public esteem or regard: good name < trying to protect his reputation of being clever >

Points on the BOC appears to be the measurement of someones reputation < a way of keeping score>

It appears that being clever will garnish you a bunch of points. The point leader last year and part of this year is probably the most clever person on this board, yet the points meant nothing to him. But to others, they hold them like treasured stones.

Being an excellent catfishperson does not mean that you will have a lot of points. I know of several on the BOC that have very few points, yet it means nothing to them, but to those that know them, they have an excellent reputation and they appreciate it.

An excellent way to gain points is to troll for them. Trolling is like fishing, you offered up something or a bunch of somethings hoping that you will get a strike. The strike is rep's. This is not a good test of someones reputation, it just means that they have a lot of points and the ability to play on others feelings or emotions.

You can be popular among your peers. Occassionally offering tibits of good information or fishing techniques and gain rep's this way.

The bottom line to this subject is, if you want to measure someones worth or expertise, read some of thier other threads to see if they offer you or other members some insight into the subject or other subjects that you or the membership will benefit from. To do anything less, would be like judging a book by it's cover.

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    oh boy, here we go.....:roll_eyes: well the guy on this site who has hooked me into the most fish doesnt have hardly any rep points, thanks, or posts at all. hes just a damned good fisherman

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    noone could have said it better than that Mac, thanks for putting it in a real perspective that everyone can interpret!!!

Uh oh, watch out, mister 2million point man is on the bottom of this thread:smile2:
    j/k John, dont get mad & go out fishing & hurt yourself, just keep reading & heal up for your battles to come.....
    nevermind he jumped off before he could post...

4. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    you hit the nail right on the head with this one. i had recently started noticing this but i have just recently joined so i really wasn't paying attention, i was too busy trying to take in all the information i could on flatheads. but the more you are on here you start to notice the trollers. i guess some people just don't have anything better to do. you will notice the same people posting and not really saying anything, well anything useful anyways. what a shame.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Great Post Mac.:wink::big_smile: I do agree but if people want to Rep you then so be it. Their(Reps) just a # to me.:wink:......Won't get you a thing at all.:smile2:

To any Posts(none in particular) that may be directed towards mine:

I've never and never will purposely troll for Reps. Personally, I could care less about them. Its what I think about me that matters to me more than some points.

I try to post as much valuable Info such as catches, pics, organize gatherings, meet fellow BOC Members and try to help as much with anything I can and welcome everybody I can.
    I feel I do my part for the good of the BOC. If people wanna Rep me, I can't stop it. I just get them and spread the love also.
    I just hope anybody doesn't think that about me and my 2 million thread. It was all in fun.
    I'll answer all PM's if anybody wants to send any.:confused2:

6. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I for one don't have much to contribute either, but i will read as many threads as i can & congratulate ppl on their catches or accompilshments....
    I don't think there is a rule that states you have to contribute information to the site to be a member, and there are alot of members here anyway!!! This is for the people who love catfishing, but alot of other things as well, therefore all the different sections.
    I've noticed sponsors who don't post alot either but contribute in their own special ways, not just giveaways, but great products for those of us who love catfishing or fishing in general, and who may have never caught anything of any size or to brag about( like myself) but just love reading everything else that all of you great fishermen( and women)have to offer as far as advice to help us in our quest for something to brag about inn the future....

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

takes being on here more than a month to figure out the members, Brian. the message boards here have different topics for a reason. some of them are for info, and some are for camaraderie and jawing. i don't post on the catfish rooms as much as here, because i don't get to fish as much as others. that, and i have little fishing help to give. i am here for camaraderie and info. i get both. and i'll tell you something else i found out a couple of years ago(after i had been a member for more than a month); there are people here that say little, but are a great help to members behind the scenes and off the board.

don't lump them into your troll category. by the way, if you can tell them apart then share that info so we can all avoid trolls:wink:

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'd Rep you for that post Phil but I'm out for now. Thanks!!!
    Also...:smile2::smile2::smile2:

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well theres folks on here if i dont hear from every couple days i send em a personal message. i have alot of friends here i talk with all the time. just because the water freezes over dont mean we should go hide under a rug. we tell jokes, hunting stories, share pics. ya i post daily. because some enjoy it. some dont. they just have to live with it.

some post only to ask Q's. some post only to answer. some post only about catfishing. some never post about catfishing. what do ya suggest we do???

well i say nothing. some of those trollers and active posters is what keeps this site alive. i havent fished since last fall. but soon all youll see from me is fish pics. untill then ill be trolling around keeping up to date with frends.:big_smile:

i dont worry about my reps. but do check when i get some to see who was kind or thankful for my post or info. i dont know if i fit the troller profile lol but i am an active member and donate time and $ to be here to post and make friends and share all kinds of info.

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Gosh! Here I was thinking my rep points came from me catching a 14 lb flathead. :sad2: :embarassed: :smile2::smile2:

11. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You mean they're not?:crazy::smile2::wink:

12. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    I have to say, I don`t think this thread hit the nail on the head, at all. I think it was rather off-putting to potential posters. I have to agree with cats4uandme and Phil Washburn.

We certainly don`t all post for the same reasons. The joking, comraderie, soul searching, reaching out for a helping hand, flippant replies, downright smartass answers, and even dumb things we immediately wish we could take back are all part of the feeling of acceptance we all love about our brotherhood/sisterhood.

I appreciate your feeling comfortable posting the start to this thread, Mac. And that is what the BOC is all about, a feeling of comfort among friends. I just hope you accept that I disagree with you, in a friendly way.

I know as a newer member, there have been times I have posted boneheaded things. Also, we don`t sit down in the same frame of mind each time we return to the site. Sometimes we feel like a nut, sometimes we don`t.:roll_eyes:

13. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Trying to get in the right frame of mind to make this post. Don't want to appear boneheaded.

I really don't know how some folks get reputation points. I have been here for a year and frankly just can't seem to put a string together. I try and try and it seems so hard. I have to give credit to those that do and CatfishJohn sure seems to have the knack. I try to be original, heartfelt and contributory. Occasionally I make an intelligent contribution and some folks thank me. I guess I should start making more posts on the blood and guts issues and perhaps it will come.

I'd rep ya John but I am out. Will wait until you make your next post, whatever it might be.

14. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Mac, this thread was a pretty good drift wasn' it? How many points did you get?

Heck I have gotten more rep in two days on a foolish parody of reputation points than my Guide, Hugh Self has ever gotten.

Now all Hugh did was get me not 1 but 2, personal best catfish, a 62lb. and a behemoth 72lb 8 oz Bluecat.... 2 days apart!

What did Hugh do for you?

Is the rep system fair? Is life fair?

Hey, this post deserves some rep! Give it to Mac, or John :wink:

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well i dont rep anyone for threads like these. sure ill thank them and say congrats on the accoplishment. but reps to congrat i dont do. but i do admit i give alot of them very generiously to guys i post with daily for just a thanks. and newer fellas for joining and sighning in. but most i give need to earn them.

i aint got two million reps nor am i on top of the post count but i have 5 awards for post participation and articles ive written to help for the library. that too im proud of.

and shawn. thanks for you sponswership and your participation. guys like us will eventually have millions of reps. because will be around long after some have gotton board.:wink:

16. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    reps are an interesting thing. they are one of my favorite things about the boc. little comments that you can give ppl semi-privately. i think they help form a tighter bond.

seacat said something i really liked. we are not allways in the same frame of mind every time we log in.

sometimes i rep ppl when i learn something. sometimes i rep them when they say something that makes me laugh. sometimes i rep someone just because it is easier to than sending a p.m. at any rate, i dont think its that big of a deal. rep points on a website? neato. they dont -usually- have anything to do witha persons "real world" personality or reputation. but, they are still fun to give and get. i think that the "count" thing is a little strange. because you cant actually do anything with them. no contests no prizes. no problems.

i dont really pay attention to other ppl's rep. count. im not even sure what mine are. but, i do look forward to getting a little "right on bro." or "thanks chunk" or whatever now and then. i also like showing other ppl that i value what they have said. sometimes i even rep. ppl i dont agree with in hi, as a sign that i at least listen with an open mind.

yep, reps are funny things. of course my one personal rule for reps and thanks, (which i see as basically the same thing except one allows a note.) it is better to give than to get.

and really who is counting?

17. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    We're starting to think far too much alike, Shawn. Before you know it, we'll be voting the same ticket and standing on the same soapbox! :eek:oooh:

I have never figured out why I receive reputation points; there are times a "Prayers sent from the Blue Ridge" post gleans rep points while a well-written, time-consuming response gets no recognition at all.

Get hung up on rep points and you'll probably not be an active forum member for too long.

However, I do know why I give them, and I grant them consistently, so rep points are fine with me! :cool2::big_smile:

18. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

you ever watch that show "Intervention"? you know, where someones family and friends try to keep ya from self destruction.......send me your address so me and a couple of the BOC boys can come over and stop you before you get to the darkside:wink::smile2:

19. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    :smile2: Thats pretty good Phil! We can help out our brother and keep him stedfast!:eek:oooh::smile2::wink:

20. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Hey guys, I appreciate the intervention! I was scared I might turn into a conservative!

Thanks for the offer to keep me away from your "dark side" ROTFLMAO! :big_smile::smile2::wink: