rend lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by noah, Jun 23, 2008.

1. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    well me and my dad are planning a trip to rend lake some day this week we have never been on that lake before i heard here lately that people have been drift fishing and catching around a hundred channels ??? well what i would like to know were do i need to put in and what is everyone useing when they go i would love to know and thank anyone with some answers :big_smile::tounge_out::big_smile::wink:

2. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Gun Creek area was very productive last year. Uncooked shrimp marinated in garlic salt always did the trick. Sinker on bottom with two hooks above & drift till you find them. From the bridge on 154 drift northeast & between the islands on the north side seem to be the best for me.

3. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    thanks i will tell dad where is the easyest and closest place to launch a boat to that spot like i said i dont realy know the lake is that part stumpy thanks for the info again

4. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    I can't answer about the stumps for sure but I believe there are stumps over there. The Channels were partial to shad this last week while drifting. You can pick up good numbers with dip baits but the sizes are on the small side. Good luck

5. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    small or large dont matter it the whole fun issue :smile2: but yeah i can get the shad no problem how is drifting useing a bobber

6. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    We were dragging our baits. We were not catching fish like your first thread indicated. Fishing had slowed way down last week. I would suggest trying both ways and switch to the way that works best. There are fish everywhere. If the bite is on you will have lots of fun.

7. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    today i took out 3 people in a pontoon and we drifted from the resort in the middle of the lake to the 154 bridge two times and put ten in the boat averaging three pounds each. we were using cut bluegill. be careful as that part of the lake can get pretty rough with just a little wind. also be carfeful trying to motor up to the north side as there are definitley a hella lotta stumps up there when you get past the island.also might add that there is a huge snag somewhere in the middle near the resort. like an old road or house foundation.

8. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    :cool2::roll_eyes:thanks big-muddy for the tips i thank dad is gonna get some night crawlers leeches and some cut shad at cookies sio i hope that that will work i will take my ultra light to see bout some blue gill we will be going some time early mourning but like i said thanks for the info but can you tell me were the best place to put in at is like i said i dont know the lake i have never been on it i have only fished the bank at west gun creek i only know the boat ramp at ina nere the loves truck stop and the school and one i thank it is called cypress or ceder or something lie that :smile2:

9. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    i use bluegill for the nicer ones,u can go out there all day long with stink bait liver or whatever and slam catfish but u gotta work for the nicer ones.at night drift bluegill or big shad,shane and i real good a couple nights.it dont matter live or cut.good luck out there.

10. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    to get to the part of the lake i was talkin about, take 37 south and make a right when you get past the prison. take that road all the way down to the t and make another right. this will take you to the cleaning station. there is a good ramp right there and you can catch gills off the docks right there.

11. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    sweet yeah we should be going wednesday or thursday as long as the weather lets us i cant hardly wait :big_smile: but yeah i will try some blue gill and some shad

12. Bad_fisherman21

Bad_fisherman21 New Member

State:
    illinois
    :big_smile::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:i fish from the bank everytime i go.I hate not having a boat but last time i was there we caught 25 channels 1 flathead. flathead weighed at 3 pounds and the channels averaged 6 or 7 pounds each one 9 and a 1 lol but all in all it was fun :big_smile:

13. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    that was at rend?

14. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    I don't know where your comming from, but if your comming off I 57, get off at Rt. 154-Sesser exit and head west. The first body of water you cross is Gun Creek, less than a mile from the interstate. Just off the interstate at the golf ball water tower, take a right and then a left at the bow hunting area sign and you will be at Gun Creek boat dock. Hope this helps. Channel Cats can be found in almost any part of Rend, you won't have to hunt to hard for them.

15. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    ywah thats were we put in at we didnt do all that great but i plan again

16. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Hello Noah, I fish for channels @ rend quite often and the best spots for me have always been south of the route 154 bridge. Depending on the wind, I always try to drift east to west or vice-versa. If you have a good fish finder you can find the old river and creek channels, and i try to concentrate my drifts over those areas. I've had great success in the gun creek areas also, especially when summer settles in. I always use fresh cut shad on a 4/0 Mustad demon circle hook on a simple slip rig. GOOD LUCK!

17. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    i need to go up to rend and catch up wiyh you guys and follow the best time for me is on a friday after 12 because thats what time i get out of school between 12:30 and 1:00 would honestly be the best if you or anyone else would like to meet me there bring your boat and i will bring mine i am tryin to get the ole lady to catch a few lol but yeah jus let me know if you would like to meet up ,up there on a friday im ready to lay in to some cats:cool2::cool2::cool2:

18. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    gun creek and shad drift fishing we also used shrimp liver and stink bait but the shrimp and shad proved best when we wer there

19. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    thanks the only thing is the lake is verry stumpy and i dont know the lake at all

20. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    there is a point where it branches off into two forks. if you stay south of there, there will be no stumps.